“Superb!”
Review of CUBE Guest House

CUBE Guest House
Ranked #1 of 60 Hout Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Tripadvisor unfortunately deleted our review when I posted it right after our trip to CT.

We traveled as a couple and Dirk and Patrick are so welcoming and warm! Should we come back to CT, we will definitely book into the CUBE again.

We stayed in the Cottage during our stay, only for 3 nights though. We were informed that we shouldn't stay too long there since it's not air conditioned and it does get quite warm. The setting however, is magnificent.

Book Now! You won't regret the location and the hospitality.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Georgie M

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I write this review a few months after having been there in feb 2013 as my previous review was deleted somehow...

First of all i recommend hiring a car if wanting to see various sights around cape town. this is very easy, affordable and hassle-free. once this is out of the way, staying in CUBE guest house is perfect. It was perfectly placed for a drive west to the waterfront and table mountain (30 mins) or camps bay (15mins). also it allowed for easy trips east towards cape point.

CUBE itself was beautiful and clean with great gardens and pool to relax by and read a book. The breakfast was EXCELLENT (fresh pastries, breads, fruits, etc... as well as omelettes/eggs to your liking).

I was there with my girlfriend over her birthday and i thought it had that elegance and intimacy for a couple but equally i wouldn't hesitate going there with friends or family as the hosts Dirk and Patrick were very friendly, sociable (with excellent recommendations for restaurants, excursions... and even what to do if it rains!!!).

I believe the arrangements were room and breakfast only (no lunch or dinner), which suited us perfectly as the aim was to use it as a base to then venture out every day somewhere new for lunch and dinner.

Would fully recommend it!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The Cube is a beautiful bed/breakfast with modern décor run by Patrick and Dirk and their two dogs(they will not bother you trust me). The dining area/main part of the house was stunning and I was embarrassed to take so many photos of the place. The breakfast room has a gorgeous view of Hout Bay from the upper hillside and I couldn’t believe how affordable the place was given how beautiful the home was. I honestly don’t know how they keep such a nice place with the rates they’re charging. The photos of the place on this website really don’t do it justice.

Breakfast was tasty with fresh bread delivered daily, freshly squeezed orange juice, diced mixed fruit, yogurt, eggs how you want it, etc etc etc.

Dirk and Patrick are perfect hosts and make you feel so welcome. My wife and I have done multiple b&b’s in Europe over the last few years and dirk/Patrick have easily been the best hosts. Aside from being super polite, they went above and beyond. Dirk offered to help us book our table mountain tickets online(which gives you a discount), he hooked us up with a discounted car rental rate through their b/b connections, and told us about a festival that was going on where locals gather in the evening for food and live music which turned out to be one of our trip highlights(we were the only tourists there!) Lastly, Dirk even offered to let me make an international call when I had trouble with my credit card. I felt really guilty about that one, but they really bailed me out on that one.

For five nights, we stayed at the comb room which had a great view of the town from the upper hillside and a personal roof-top terrace. Its access is separate from the main house so you can come and go without worrying about waking up the house(although there is a separate room with its own access underneath you so you still want to be courteous). Room was very clean with modern fixtures. And oh yes, I was excited to find they have 2 ply toilet paper. It’s all about the little things. The only nit-picky thing I have to say is that their shower pressure is on the light side, but honestly, who cares. The place is gorgeous and the owners are awesome. I only mention the shower to prevent any future nuts that may expect elephant grade shower spray and give a bad review.

Lastly, I wanted to say that I felt perfectly safe in Hout Bay and this nice neighborhood too of course. It’s a great place to stay. My wife and I had concerns about the safety in south Africa/capetown, but Dirk reassured us it was safe as long as we weren’t idiots(he didn’t word it like that of course) and he was absolutely right. We found it was safe to drive around at night and eating at the restaurants in the evening was fine. I had my reservations about staying in Hout Bay and not in central cape town, but I’m definitely glad I picked the cube in hout bay. I had made the right choice for my vacation. Thanks Dirk and Patrick!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our days in Cube have been amazing, thanks to Dirk and Patrick. They are two amazing hosts, the house is fabulous and Hout Bay itself is a very nice and quite neigbourhood. And their dog is the most beautfil and relaxed dog I have ever seen. We will be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cosmopolitan Suite, with its open-space bathroom. Perfect for couples!
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the CUBE house for two nights after several weeks of traveling through East Africa and it was the perfect place to stay to enjoy Cape Town. The location is tucked between Cape Town and the Cape of Good Hope, allowing easy access to Table Mountain and all of the city's attractions as well as the cute beach towns on the Cape. The house is modern and beautifully decorated, a truly relaxing place to stay and the dog even matches the house!

We stayed in the smallest room, but it was still quite spacious, complete with comfortable bed and duvets. The bathroom had both a shower and soaking tub, which was amazing after weeks roughing it through East Africa.

What really sets the CUBE house apart was the breakfast and attentiveness of the owners and staff. Breakfast was amazing - eggs, fresh bread, cold meats, cheese, fruit, homemade jams, muesli, and yogurt. All this was served in a dining room with beautiful views of the mountains and Hout Bay.

Patrick and Dirk were so helpful in giving suggestions on where to eat and what to do. They really made our stay in Cape Town better than if we had planned everything on our own.

Bottom line: Go to Cape Town and stay at the CUBE house.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Cube in Hout Bay for 5 nights during July 2013. We received a very warm welcome from both the owners and the staff, who couldn't do enough for us. They managed to strike a great balance of being very helpful, whilst also leaving us to our own devices. A feat which is sometimes tricky for guest houses, we certainly never felt like we were imposing in someone elses' home. Pre-arrival, we were emailed to see if we needed any advice/restaurant/activity bookings, and they were more than happy to make our restaurant bookings for us ahead of time, which I would imagine is very necessary in high season!

Each morning we were met with a delicious but not over heavy breakfast, a far cry from some 'greasy fry ups' I have experienced in the past. Our eggs were cooked wonderfully to order and the staff were very friendly and polite, and you were left in peace to enjoy your food and the beautiful views.

The house has been designed to make the most of its wonderful setting with fantastic views - it really is very peaceful and enjoyable to be in.

Each morning Dirk came down to say hi, and see if we needed any advice for the day. He gave us maps and phoned ahead to Table mountain to check whether it was open - he really did help us make the most of our stay.

Great people, great house - you really can't go wrong here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed at the wooden cottage for the first night with my husband when I landed in Cape Town on 7th June. It was a rainy night and the view of the swimming pool from the room was so serene. The next morning woke up to a yummy breakfast prepared by the caretaker, Chester. The view of Hout Bay and the mountains that the guest house offered was pure bliss..It was a romantic start to our fun-filled holiday ahead!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hout Bay
#1 of 40 in Constantia
Pure Guest House
Pure Guest House
#2 of 60 in Hout Bay

Been to CUBE Guest House? Share your experiences!