“Great pizza!”
Review of Massimo's

Massimo's
Ranked #3 of 64 Restaurants in Hout Bay
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Open every day of the week for lunch & dinner.We make amazing pizza plus daily specials, using only the best, mainly locally sourced ingredients, and the owners are always present to ensure quality & consistency. Check us out on google for more information
Zeist, Utrecht, Netherlands
“Great pizza!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Nice place, great food and great service. Very relaxed place to go, with or without children. We really enjoyed it!

Visited August 2013
2 Thank AstridvanV

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“When you have good pizza and bad service, you remember the service”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I love this restaurant, (as Massimo's) but I had a really bad experience here and will not be returning while it's being run as Amici di Massimo's.

I love the food, the passion and hospitality of the owners.

However the waiters are arrogant and unprofessional, and there is no excuse for such poor service.
This has gotten far worse under Amici di Massimo's management.
Last Friday, the restaurant was not particularly busy but after finishing our starters we waited for half an hour for our waiter to return to our table, we were still waiting to see the specials board, still waiting to order our mains. All the waiters seem to have mastered that elusive art of avoiding eye contact, and when I eventually caught our waiters eye and waved him down he waved back at me and carried on. I had to go to him on the opposite side of the restaurant to get his attention. When we finally got him to our table, while I was half way through placing my order he started chatting to the kitchen staff, and I had to start over. I dine out to enjoy food not to suffer at the arrogance and audacity of self important waiters. These guys have major ego issues, and have to be reined in, and made to understand that it's the restaurant is not about them, it's not their turf, patrons are not unwelcome guests. The restaurant exists for it's guests. The waiters here have also mastered the art of asking if everything's ok when your mouth is full of food. Just like at spur, actually that's an insult to spur. I should probably comment on the food at this point but the bad service is all I'll remember about that night ( a special occasion), so I couldn't be bothered..... Just like our waiter! It was a shortish guy with an earing in his left ear.

I have had plenty of great experience here when this was run by Massimo and Tracy, and feel guilty about writing a bad review, but if nothing is said, the problem can't be fixed. I wish Massimo a speedy recovery. God Bless.

• Visited July 2013
massimos_hb, Owner at Massimo's, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thanks for your review, we value all feedback from our customers. We’d like to clarify the current situation regarding Massimo’s.
We (Massimo & Tracy) are in Genova, Italy where Massimo is about to undergo a bone marrow transplant to cure a rare form of blood cancer, similar to leukaemia. Providing all goes well the plan is to return to Cape Town in March 2014. Meanwhile Johan is running ‘Amici di Massimo’s’ in his own right, with the same menu & staff.

Johan was made aware of your complaint and here is his response:
…..When the clients arrived they were disappointed that their usual table by the window was occupied. We seated them on table 11 but they were still not happy and they requested to move to table 9 and we complied. While they were seated on table 11 they were shown the specials board and they placed their starter order. As the shop was full and we only have three boards available we removed the specials board to be used elsewhere. While enjoying their starters I checked in with the customers and they were satisfied and as with all the tables I talk to I insist that "if there is anything you need please don't hesitate, I'm here for you" and carried on. The next interaction that I had with the customer was when he came to the till to pay. Only then did he say that they had to wait 30min to place their order for their mains and that Vuyo was the worst waiter they have ever had. Frankly, I can’t accept that they waited that long as we had all 4 waiters, 2 runners & myself on the floor and at no time during their meal did they express any dissatisfaction?.........

We have also asked the waiter concerned (who has been with us since the start of Massimo’s and has never caused any problems) who stated that he asked you twice after your first course if you were ready to order but you weren’t.
Also we’ve asked Johan to take the matter up of ‘ego’s’ with all the staff. Our attitude is to encourage the staff to express their personalities in the workplace and customers comment that they love the staff, atmosphere, etc. Having said that, it is appreciated that this can sometimes lead to over exuberance and come across as arrogance.
However, we don’t wish to drag out the matter, and offer you our apologies for your experience on that evening. We’d like to be secure in the knowledge that once we are back, we will indeed have a restaurant to return to so would encourage you to support the restaurant, in whatever guise.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Great pizza's, but won't hurry back...”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Massimo's is well known for it's amazing pizzas, and I have visited many times before, they did not disappoint. They must serve one of the best pizzas in Cape Town. The problem on this occasion that the attitude of their Chef, when my wife decided to order one of the specials of the day, the grilled Swordfish. She does not eat garlic and asked for the fish dish to be served with a side salad, rather than the garlic & citrus pasta. He refused point blank and was completely rude and arrogant about it, snapping back at my wife that he only serves food as it comes on the menu. It was a pity, as he ruined what could have been an incredible meal for everyone on our table. Had he simply been a little more customer friendly, and served what a customer preferred, we all would have left satisfied and content. Unfortunately, this chef took away from what could have been a great Sunday meal. Anyhow, we shall definitely return for the pizza's, but may order them to take away!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank TheoCromhout
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Very busy, a little wait, but worth it!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Invited by friends that frequent the place a lot.

Was very busy, and we did book earlier in the day already. So not the most pleasant table. But the place was pumping. Cozy and toastie next to the pizza oven.

Pizza choices were vast, and the product exceptional. We had a lovely waitress, but due to the level of business, think she was a little over whelmed. But her service was friendly and efficient.

Must say that i was disappointing in the boerewors being sold out, but my next choice the pancetta and mushrooms was really nice.

I am a chef, and have worked in a bistro which serves pizza before.

And I believe there is something special there for everyone.

My one and only complaint Mr Massimo is that you dont have a shop in Durbanville! Very far too drive...

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Neil N
“Great pizza”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This is a warm friendly pizzeria with a personal story behind it. An impressive selection of pizza on the menu and interesting specials on the board. I liked the mismatched chairs and art. We sat in a private little corner and were left to enjoy our evening. Helpful staff, not too over friendly, which is just what we wanted. The pizzas were great - though a bit burnt around the edges - otherwise I would give it 5 stars. Tiramisu was so delicious I forgot to share it. I went back again for a take away recently and the pizza wasn't burnt on the edges this time.

• Visited April 2013