“what a disappointment”

Dining options: Delivery
Description: Authentic Thai food prepared by Thai Chefs
“what a disappointment”
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

ordered delivery from them; first they charge you a delivery fee and then the driver claims to have no change. Would be back immediately: that was approx 3 hrs ago. Ordered Thai style, since I recently came back from Thailand, but never had it this horrible. Just dried chilis on it... Can't recommend this to anyone.

ErawanCapeTown, Owner at Thai Cafe, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
I'm very surprised at the speed at which you posted your second Trip Advisor review.... After complaining to the delivery driver that he had no change the owner of Thai Cafe personally delivered your change to you and at no time did you mention that you had a problem with the quality of the food .Our policy is to exchange or refund when a customer is unhappy. Good luck with your Thai Food tasting elsewhere...

Old, United Kingdom
“A very average attempt at Thai.”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

As I read the reviews on Tripadvisor this place sounded great so decided to give it a whirl. I'm a huge fan of Thai food, much of it eaten on the beaches of Southern Thailand and in cafes in the cities.

Started with chicken satay - these were dried up pieces of chicken that seemed to have been deep fried rather than grilled. Little flavour and very disappointing. Also some spring rolls. Nicely cooked, crispy coverings, but lacking in any real flavour.

I asked for the mains (chicken red curry and stirred fried chicken with basil) to be Thai style. I can't fault them on spicing - hot as I asked for them to be. Sadly though the dishes lacked the depth and subtleties of Thai cooking relying instead on lots of chilli and little else. They were certainly ok, but I've had far better.

All in all a very average meal, one I won't bother returning to try a second time.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank emmbrook
ErawanCapeTown, Owner at Thai Cafe, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
I was quite surprised to read your review that you posted recently. I think it's unfair to compare our Thai food offering to that you have sampled in Thailand as we are limited as to the herbs and ingredients that are imported here in South Africa. That being said we are an extremely popular venue and the fact that we are always busy is testament to this and we must surely be doing something right.
Having lived in Thailand and still visiting twice a year I can also state that we are as authentic as your are going to get anywhere in South Africa!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“REAL NICE THAI TAKEWAYS”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Super Padthai dishes - actually the best ever
Real Thai cook and staff and friendly people
I would recommend to any one in Houtbay wanting quick food

Visited January 2012
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Authentic Thai Take Away and Sit Down”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I frequently get take aways from this authentic little restaurant. You can sit down as they have a few tables in- and outside but take aways are prepared freshly and quickly so it's good for enjoying at home. That being said it's probably the best curry you can get in Hout Bay - and the competition here is not too bad either...

• Visited November 2012
Cape Town
“Fresh and fabulous”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

What a delightful experience. We had always overlooked the Thai Cafe but on advice from others, decided to give it a try.

We sat at one of the benches outside and had an extremely pleasant meal accompanied by a bottle of wine and watched the world go by while we relaxed and enjoyed a very pleasant evening.

The food was extremely fresh and very tasty and we found the prices really reasonable. The service was also very prompt and the waitron very sweet and helpful.

An absolute pleasure all round. Most certainly worth return visits.

• Visited October 2012