“STAY SPOILT BY STAFF THEFT”
Review of Houtkapperspoort

Houtkapperspoort
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Six of us stayed at Rosewood Cottage for 8 days in early May. The gardens are lovely and our cottage was nice, although the sheets smelled musty and the carpet needed a good clean. We had a stain on our upstairs bedroom carpet, and I picked up an orthodonatal tooth elastic in our room as well, so it hadn't been vacuumed too thoroughly. There was also black mould in the shower recess.
The woman on reception when we booked in wasn't too friendly, and on a later date when we asked for a kitchen sink plug, as ours was missing, she gave it to us but made mention that if it wasn't returned we would be charged for it. We were given electrical adapters though, with no mention of being charged for them if we didn't return them.
Other Reviewers say there are no laundry facilities, but we bought tokens at the office and were told we could use the machines in the laundry, but only after hours when the staff had finished for the day. This worked well for us, as we were out and about during the day and didn't want to waste time doing laundry. We had to unload the towels and linen from the machines before we could use them, but that was no problem.

The thing I really didn't like about Hootkapperspoort was the fact that staff helped themselves to some of my possessions. We noticed almost from day one that things were not being found as we had left them, so it was obvious that somebody was checking out our gear. After a couple of days there, my deodorant vanished. Strange. I couldn't believe that something that would be missed immediately would be taken, but it was. I reported it to reception as I felt they needed to know. The woman there said she would make a note of it in their book.
I then discovered several pairs of knickers had been removed from my suitcase. I intended reporting this too, but as we were leaving early and returning late, the office was closed when we were in residence, so I decided to email them instead. The day we left, I discovered my specialty Canon camera battery, stored in a little black zippered pouch, was gone. Why anybody would take this is beyond me, but they did.
Finally, after we had left Houtkapperspoort, I tipped out my souvenirs (stored in my always zipped up airline carry bag), to find several souvenir necklaces and wrist bands / bracelets had disappeared as well. Everything I had bought since leaving Cape Town was still there, but the jewellery was gone. Nothing else was stolen from me for the remainder of the trip, so it looks suspiciously as though the jewellery was also taken while there.
I emailed the office as a courtesy, letting them know they had a potential problem with theft, but they ignored me, not giving me the courtesy of a response to my correspondence. Which was very disappointing.
I have since discovered that a large theft was committed there in the past and management were not helpful then either.
To me, it explains why staff would steal something they knew would be noticed immediately (the deodorant). as they know management ignore the problem.
So be warned, if you stay here, keep everything under lock and key if you want to keep your possessions.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jan H

Reviewed May 20, 2012

We were fortunate to stay at Houtkapperspoort for 2 nights, and we really enjoyed our stay at the venue. We booked an 3 bedroom unit and it had all the necessary requirements. The units underfloor heating was switched on before we arrived and found the unit warm and cosy, upon our arrival. It is wonderful walking among the units and seeing the 6 springboks, just feeding 10 meters from you. Houtkapperspoort is well positioned and close to Constantia and Hout Bay.

Room Tip: We stayed in unit 7, very nice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ivanmare
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We stayed here for ten days, before and after our wedding.

We'd arranged everything from England via Email and phone and the communications from Houtkapperspoort were excellent throughout. We had guests from all over the world flying in and out on different dates and Houtkapperspoort managed to accommodate all of our requirements, a total of seven lodges for various durations. I cannot fault the organisation and professionalism of the staff (particularly Heather) at all.

The lodges were fantastic and, whilst breathtaking is a word one tends to over-use in the Cape, the setting is magnificent as it nestles above Hout Bay in a valley. Everywhere was lush and vibrant, very well tended and the roaming animals really add to the idyllic atmosphere of the place.

The laundry facilities are something of a letdown as others have mentioned, but then there are dedicated laundrettes and dry cleaning services available locally. I'm not sure a modern bank of intelligent machinery would quite 'fit' in Houtkapperspoort anyway.

We'll be sure to include Houtkapperspoort on future trips. Excellent value and friendly staff in a spectacular setting.

Room Tip: I don't think there ARE any bad rooms: pick with confidence!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Hand2012
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Travelled here with my partner who had stayed many years ago. Its a beautiful little spot at the top of Hout Bay. Cottages are well equipped and retain a rustic charm. Landscaping is beautiful and theres something quite special about the free roaming deer etc in the compound. Lovely little pool and nice vibe to the whole complex. A huge plus is you feel extremely safe and have no worries about breaking and entering which can be a concern in SA. Would reccommend for couples, families, groups anyone looking for a relaxing self catering holiday in Cape Town.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MiddleM
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We checked in after the reception closed so were left to find our cabin in the evening hours on our own. The cabin was sweet and the area is quiet... Until morning. We were in cabin 14 and the morning traffic wakes you up early. Sadly the sheets smelled dank and musty as well.

The bus tour stops just across the street so we were well set up for our first couple of days exploring Cape Town without a car on the tour bus. Reception was friendly but not overly helpful or inviting. The grounds were beautiful and we had a lot of privacy.

Room Tip: Cabin 14 is very noisy with traffic in the morning and evening.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Our second visit and to be clear abt our impressions, its very good, however we felt maybe resting on laurels and some upgrades required. Nice pool area bt not enough loungers and loungers at cottages would make huge difference for relaxing at night with a drink outside instead of tables and chairs. No washing machine, laundry room but all wash in cold water so how much bleach is on your sheets and towels to kill bacteria, sorry, dont like that!.good dvd selection bt our choice didnt work. Wi fi is very cheap bt one at a time usage. Security excellent, u feel safe and watched over. Lovely wildlife and views. Our fav restuarant, greens in groot constatzia followed by jonkershuis, forget simons.gone downhill. Check wind strength before going to camps bay beach, lovely but hopeless if windy, and go to capetown lots!

Room Tip: Get one with loft bt superior not hugely better
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank dave c
Reviewed February 21, 2012

This was our third visit to South Africa and we chose this location for a change. The setting was beautiful -our terrace had views to Lion's Head and we often had Springbok playing on the grass by our cottage, plus guinea fowl knocking on our door! Cottage was comfortable and apparently one of the best -obviously updated by owners with nice soft furnishings etc. No dishwasher or washing machine which was a shame though. Great to have a built-in BBQ on terrace which we used a couple of times and the pool area, tennis and grounds were enjoyed by our family -perhaps need some more sunbeds by pool though. Good location for exploring the vineyards, beaches, Cape Point etc, though you do need car.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family