“delicious Thai buffet”

Ranked #1 of 70 Restaurants in Hout Bay
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Between 1835 and 1849 the Kronendal Farm was owned by Sir William Josias Cloete. Legend has it that the homestead is haunted by his daughter Elsa Cloete who died of a broken heart after being forbidden to marry her soldier lover. Kitima still sets and serves a table for Elsa with samples from the menu to appease Elsa's spirit. Welcome to Kitima restaurant where oriental elegance and hospitality meet the unpretentious grace and charm of Africa. Our authentic Thai and Asian Fusion cuisine, prepared by our Thai chefs will carry you to a world of exotic spices, perfumes and all that’s precious and exotic. Various dining option are available from our private lover’s room seating 2-6 persons, our VIP room seating up to 12 persons, our Temple and Bangkok rooms as well as the Raya lounge for cocktails, drinks, snacks or even dinner to share. Kitima exudes all the splendour of a traditional Cape Dutch homestead with yellowwood ceilings, wooden floors combined with modern Asian artefacts and cuisine. Our cocktail list is extensive and features a number of award winners that are both stunning in taste and appeal. The restaurant has the addition of the garden and the Raya Terrace which are unique covered areas that are available,however these are weather permitting. We invite you to have a taste of true Thai cuisine in a traditional and modernised South African homestead.
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Kitima serves a Thai buffet for lunch on Sundays.
Once again, the food was yummy: this time, apart from the 'normal' sushi & sashimi, there were 3 different delicious cooked sushi rolls (chicken, salmon, prawn) - mmmm. My favourite starters (apart from the sushi) are the dim sum. There were also other interesting starters and a soup.
Various Thai mains (duck curry with litchis) & crispy ducks 'hanging' (or stuck upright on skewers).
Loads from which to choose and the food is replenished as and when necessary, ensuring that it is fresh.
R50 corkage (not like the good old days when corkage was virtually never charged in Cape Town), but R250 for the buffet is good value for money.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

My first Kitima experience was in 2009 on my honeymoon. I could not believe that "Cape Town" was "hiding" such a gem from the rest of the world. The food and presentation thereof is so so so good it just added to the nuances of our honeymoon. I have returned several times after that. Memorable would be an understatement. World class food, World class wine, Stunning setting and vibe. A definite must when in the Republic of Hout Bay! I call it my happy place.

1  Thank Agnetha O
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We have been to Kitima on numerous occasions and have never been disappointed, either by the food or by the service. Yesterday's dinner was upped a notch by our waiter Junior. He certainly is a gem and they are very lucky to have him work there. The fact that this restaurant was fully booked in the middle of winter is testimony to it's high standards.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

This must be one of my favourite restuarants in all of Cape Town! From the greeting at rception , to being seated in the most exquisite rooms, displayed with beauttiful works of art , thai style.
the waietsr are trained to perfection, impeccable manners and service, some of the best thai food you'll experience in Cape Town.
We were here for a birthday celebration on 24 May 2014 : , strating with a drink form the wide selection of cocktails - which is a must , becaus ethey make the best cocktails ever!!!!
I love the Thai Martini, but the varied selection of Martini's on offer are fantastic.....and i've tried all of them.....
Yep, i must seem a little bias - but i've proabaly been to this restuarant more than 20 odd times in so many years, and i can honestly say they are one of the best , conststantly good restuarants for a guaranteed fabulous evening of dining . You can enjouy a small intimate and romantic dinner or a large table with friends. but i can guarantee , you wont be sorry - you will leave feeling satisfied, after enjoying a great night of dining -every single time!
I love the steamed kingklip , with lemongrass and chille- you can have it served at different strengths of chille hot - deserts are scrumtios , ending the eving either with a chilli chocolate Martini or a nice simple coffee.
resrevations essential , and dont leave it to the last minute - you should allow for a minimum of two weeks if not three, to get a table booking. the restuarant does close for mid year holidays during half of june and back mid july again !

2  Thank Fiona65_11
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I love Asian food - and after living in Singapore and Malaya for some years, If I have a choice, I'll go for the Asian menu every time! So when my partner Ingrid suggested we went to Kitima for my Birthday Dinner, I was really looking forward to one of the best meals!
parking is easy either on the roadside or in their carpark - it is safe, and there are a lot of guys there to both help you cross the road, or get into a parking slot, as well as to look after your car while you dine in peace.
The building has a wonderful history and has been carefully restored. Some parts look very Thai! And as you enter you will see a place setting with food on. I am not going to spoil the story, so if you are intrigued to know more, then you are going to have to go and eat there!!
The wine and cocktail menu is very extensive, and caters of all pockets. The food menu makes final choices so difficult that you just have to go several times! We started with DimSum - it's one of the few places that offers a traditional lunch food at dinner. Then I had a chicken curry and Singapore noodles, and what can I say? Delicious, better than 'lovely' and filling spring to mind! Ingrid had salmon curry and steamed rice. Both passed our expectations, and having passed Kitima frequently over the years, I am wondering why we have not been before?
There are three main eating rooms, and a small private dining area for 4 max. With patios and 2 bar areas, covered places to sit, I am looking to trying this again in summer!