“Eat here” 4 of 5 bubbles

Le Bon Vivant
Ranked #4 of 75 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: European, Soups
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Fredewricton
“Eat here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Ambience with nice garden setting, or if too cold, eat indoors. Lamb was again very good and wine selection excellent. Service could have been slightly more attentive, but this is being picky.

Visited October 2013

• Polish first
Luxembourg
“Again one of the best meals in my life....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

When we first ate here two years ago, this became my absolute world wide favourite, my number 1.... It is always difficult to return as expectations can spoil the experience.... Starters as desserts still were...heavenly brilliant. Only my main course was slightly disappointing. But still : this place is worth not only the "detour" but the " voyage" .......

• Visited November 2013
Chester, United Kingdom
“Great food - need more staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

I cannot fault the food, which is tastes lovely and is beautifully presented. However, the experience was badly let down long before the food arrived. Arriving on a very wet evening, we were hurriedly shown to our table without any proper greeting, even though we were on time. We were then effectively abandoned for 15 minutes before I attracted the attention of a waiter to tell him we had been waiting all this time, without even a glass of water. He failed to apologise, merely saying ok, and asking what we would like to drink. Our waitress for the evening shortly came over and did apologise and gave good service for the rest of the meal. It was 55 minutes from being seated to receiving our food, which is just not good enough. An unlucky experience? Who knows, but careless, and avoidable perhaps with more staff.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Salcombe, United Kingdom
“Strongly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

The restaurant is in the centre of Franschhoek and has a well deserved reputation for outstanding food. The chef owner and his team were visible all evening through a large window into the kitchen. There is a tasting menu but we choose a la carte. Our main courses of duck three ways and springbok were superbly cooked and beautifully presented. Service was efficient and friendly and although the restaurant was full the waiting time was limited. There are lots of restaurants to choose from in Franschhoek but this one should be near the top of your list, and you need to book.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Davidisobel
Oslo, Norway
“A nice surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

We were planning to have lunch in Franschhoek before going on to Stellenbosch and of course knowing that there's so many fantastic restaurants there we were supposed to find one in the main street. It was a warm day and a lot of people in Franschhoek and we had a hard time finding somewhere to park our rental car so we pulled in to a side street and just decided to eat at the place closest to our car. It was just one of those days when you're a bit tired and just want to eat at the place right in front of you.

We found a table in the garden which seemed very informal, almost like a pub. The veranda with white table cloths seemed like a different and much more posh place. I ordered the springbok, while my husband had the crayfish. After some time the food arrived and because of the vibe in the garden we were really surprised to get this two amazing plates of food in front of us. We had misjudged the place, no doubt about it.

Big portioned gourmet style food, both in presentation and in taste. Because the food was so good we decided to have dessert, I chose the cheese platter while my husband had the chocolate plate. I made the wrong choice, four different kinds of cheese which the waitor didn't say anything about so I have no idea what I had, with sweet red onion jam and "melba toast". The jam was really tasty, but to be frank the cheese was just a bit boring for this place. The chocolate platter was a whole different story and seemed really inspired, a take on tiramisu, white chocolate ice cream, a chocolate cake, some chocolate squares and a mousse. Lucky for me my husband suggested we'd share the desserts before they arrived, because they were in different leagues.

The service was ok, the guy serving us was really friendly but we didn't see him for most of the meal so refill on drinks wasn't easy to get. Good food takes time, so we understand why the mains took a long time, but between clearing the plates and seeing the dessert menu it took too much time. The dessert and bill both came quick so all in all the service was good enough.

I should also add that it was very cheap given what we got.

• Visited October 2013