“Always a good choice”

Cuisines: Dutch
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2013

A fantastic restaurant which never disappoints. We first ate here 4 years ago, and the service, choice and quality of food is always exceptional. It has to be my most favourite restaurant in Franschhoek.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,617)

Reviewed April 3, 2013

This was my husband's 'Plan B' restaurant. We both enjoyed the experience. The setting feels warm and friendly.

We chose the 'Surprise Dinner' whereby a 5-course meal is served to you, but you don't know what it will be, and it is accompanied by complementary wines.

Our waitron was new and pleasant, but I overheard a more-experienced waitron giving more detailed explanations of the food and wine to another table, and it would have been interesting to hear that info too.

We still aim to go to our 'Plan A' restaurant, but I would return to Le Bon Vivant and would enthusiastically recommend it to friends.

One disappointment was that one of the courses included Foie Gras, which many people (and surely chefs) know is produced and harvested in a very manner - it would be admirable if leading restaurants took a stand to clear it from their menus.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Terrific food in a lovely atmosphere. We started with an amuse bouche followed by a mixed prawn dish and a scallops and crab salad starter - quite superb. For main courses we had lamb, cooked three ways and duck breast with a duck confit. All the dishes were superb and the service was excellent. Definitely one of the top three restaurants in Franschoek and worth a visit.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have been here twice and have been surprised by the strange menu - grilled watermelon and pesto ice cream for example. But it all works extremely well and will provide you with fantastic food with a twist. The service is excellent. I am looking forward to my next visit!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Based on recommendations we opted to go to La Bon Vivant for dinner and I must say it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. We sat outside in the garden area (the inside of the restaurant is just as nice), we chose to not go for the suprise menu and went A La Carte and ended up having 4 courses anyways. The food was really delicious, the staff very friendly. Would highly recommend for dinner.