“Outstanding food”

Cuisines: Dutch
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The quality of food and the presentation is exceptional. The service can however be somewhat slow but it is certainly worth the wait. I would recommend not booking too late in the evening.

There are newer reviews for Le Bon Vivant

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We enjoyed a really lovely dinner here during our trip. Good menu choice, food was delicious, matched with a lovely bottle of wine.
Service was very good and we considered we had made a good choice for our evening.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Had a great meal at Le Bon Vivant. Quality of the food is amazing and the flavours delicious. I had the scallops and the crab - scallops to die for - then the pork which was succulent. Presentation of food is excellent and high standard of service. If you go to Franschhoek enjoy a meal here.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have eaten at Le Bon Vivant before and found it a reasonably good, but not very good, restaurant. We eat here again yesterday and confirmed our judgement that it was OK but not much more. None of the dishes were better than I would prepare myself at home (my judgement for a restaurant to be good), plus there was an over reliance on salt for flavoring, a definite black mark.

An inexpensive menu to be sure, so perhaps it should be regarded as casual rather than "good".

1  Thank flybill
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I think this has to be my favorite restaurant in the world. I have been lucky enough to visit Cape Town several times and I always make a point of eating at Le Bon Vivant. I haven't been for a couple of years now but was delighted to find the food is still of exceptional quality and so beautifully presented that if I had not been before I, like many of the other tables, would have taken photographs of the food! Le Bon Vivant is not the cheapest place to eat (its not the most expensive in Franschhoek by a long way though) but in terms of value it wins hands down. the cost of a 3 course meal will be the same as you'd pay for a single main course at a corresponding venue in London for example. If you can handle it I highly recommend the 5 course tasting menu but perhaps only take 1 with wine and share between 2 as they're pretty generous with the wine.

In short if you like well designed and executed food in warm congenial surroundings - look no further.

1  Thank AdamP77