“Amazing dessert plate”

Cuisines: Dutch
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Lovely garden setting but our first impression was not very positive. Our table needed a good scrub all round and there were a couple of well established bird poo stains under our tablemats - I was thinking of getting the Marigolds and bleach out but my husband asked the waitress to clean the table, which she did without complaining. Yet, this was not the best start to our evening.

We weren't quite hungry enough for the five-course menu so went a la carte. The food is good here and my husband loved the deconstruction of a Caesar salad (quite spectacular). My scallops and crab starter was also excellent. The perfectly cold Tournedos Rossini was a winner and my pork main course was also well executed. The wine list is well thought out and the Graham Beck Viognier was well balanced. Service was friendly and not rushed.

However, the highlight was the 'mixture of everything' dessert plate which we shared. It was a-ma-zing, great flavours, fantastic sorbet and ice creams, a wonderful souffle... every mouthful was a delight.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,535)

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We went for the tasting menue, one of the best meals we had in SA, superb. We would highly recomend this resterant, the staff were lovely, very helpful and the decor stylish.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

This restaurant lived up to all the positive reviews I had read. The room is large and comfortable with restful lighting and a very pleasant ambience: there is a window to the kitchen where we could see (but not hear, thankfully) the action in the kitchen - I had a direct view and had a little wave from the Chef/owner PIere Hendriks ! The food was excellent - delicious bursts of flavour and well presented. I am still trying to work out how the soy panna cotta was made. We are not usually dessert eaters but decided to share a portion of the Basil & Berries , which featured macaroons, a mille feuille with basil scented cream and basil icecream. Sensational ! We thought it was excellent value for the level of cooking and would highly recommend.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

The Suffle Dessert was worth the visit and best of all dishes. Unfortuneatley at the same time as dessert was served a strong cloud of cooking fumes reached our table. I still have it in my sweater.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is a restaurant not to be missed if visiting Franschhoek. Pierre Hendriks is an outstanding and inventive chef. On this visit we chose the tasting menu and it was delightful. The variety of tastes was excellent and the portion size just right. The wine chosen for each course absolutely correct. The service could not be faulted. This was our third visit and it seems to get better and better. It is a very popular restaurant and on previous occasions we have had to sit outside so this time we took the precaution of booking well in advance and were not disappointed. It was one of the highlights of our holiday.

1  Thank Alexander D