“A delightful Franschhoek restaurant”
Review of Le Bon Vivant

Le Bon Vivant
Ranked #5 of 83 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: Dutch
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Le Bon Vivant is conveniently situated in the centre of Franschhoek and has dining indoors and in the garden area. The staff are both attentive and knowledgeable with respect to the menu and wine list. The menu is not particularly extensive so one can be sure of the use of fresh ingredients beautifully cooked and presented. Probably the best scallops I have tasted. The dinner was one of the most delightful we have had and certainly memorable for the cusine, wine and ambiance. Highly recommended if visiting this town with plenty of good estaurants but be sure to make a reservation well in advance.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,509)

Reviewed February 29, 2012

I came here in February with a friend and my boyfriend and the food was absolutely fabulous. The presentation is seriously impressive and the taste totally lives up to it.

They start you off with bread and homemade dips, which are lovely. For mains I had the vegetarian course and the others had springbok and a beef dish, both of which were excellent, as were the starters

Although it did take quite a while to get our food, the waitress was very apologetic and explained the delay before we even had a chance to flag it up or ask about it.

Of the two restaurants we ate at while we here (the other being reuben's), this was certainly the best - would definitely recommend it if you're in Franschhoek

Reviewed February 29, 2012

I have to agree with a Emma from the UK, I'm not sure if we just got an off night, or maybe just an average menu, but the food was nothing to write home about. My girlfriend did the tasting menu, and although the platings were beautiful, her food was only ok. I had the Scallops and Pork starter (excellent) and the Lamb Rack main (just so so). Our server was fantastic, though, and I must say the atmosphere was lovely. Oh, and the one real nit-pick, red wine at room temperature on a hot night was a bit unpleasant, it would have been nice to have it at a proper 15 degrees C.

1  Thank eygone
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We don't understand the fuss made about La Bon Vivant. My boyfriend enjoyed his food but certainly blown away and I was disappointed with mine. My starter of prawns done three ways was of mixed success. The 'lollipop' was good but too salty and the 'trifle' was just unpleasant. We've just got back from an 18 day trip to South Africa. We expected this meal to be a highlight but it rates a long way down a long list.

1  Thank Emma L
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Excellent table on the terrace
Food and experience very good
Excellent front of house lady
The children were expertly fed
A must visit on every trip