“astonishing value food and wine”
Review of Le Bon Vivant

Le Bon Vivant
Ranked #5 of 81 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: Dutch
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 21, 2011

While other restaurants in Franschhoek are better known, I think this is the best. Go for the 5 course 'Surprise' menu and you will not only have amazing food but also cleverly paired, interesting wine to go with it. And it won't break the bank either, despite being a Tasting menu. Try this restaurant before the more famous ones like Reuben's or The Quartier Francais (though they are great too).

1  Thank johnmcdonald26

Reviewed September 11, 2011

My wife and I recently enjoyed a delicious lunch at Le Bon Vivant and fully understand why it is rated # 1 by tripadvisor in Franschhoek. My wife's starter of pork belly overlain by seared scallops with crackling and rosa tomatoes is a winner. I had zuchini dumplings with camembert and red pesto. Absolute Yummy. Mains for my wife was grilled norwegian salmonand crab claws, and mine was suckling pig served several ways with apple, finely sliced roast potato, and thinly cut veggies. Both mains were just divine. We finally ended up sharing a vanilla souffle with white chocolate balls and ice cream...what an incredible meal, with excellent service.

1  Thank Travelnut064
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Pierre and his team turned on a great evening for the four of us - food was perfect and the service is very friendly and professional - evening down to providing a clean glass to sample wine from a second bottle of the wine we were drinking!! Great eating for those who want to sample fare that you would not cook at home!!

1  Thank FOTOFREAK
Reviewed August 11, 2011

This restaurant was the last in our 4 day holiday in Franschhoek. We'd planned to stay in self-catering accommodation and eat out at a different lunch venue each day. For our final evening we went to dinner at Le Bon Vivant. Nothing was too much trouble. We had the chef's selection (5 courses) and were each served different dishes which allowed us to share samples of just about everything on the menu. Meat, fish and vegetarian eaters all well catered for. The dessert lived up to all the reviews we'd read. Ambiance was enhanced with interesting artifacts including light fixtures made from cooking implements. The best was knowing up front what we had committed to paying. Of course, a la carte is available. I've already booked to go back over the end of year holidays.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

We dined with friends who recently go married and my husband and I were really disappointed with the food and the service. The restaurant was not very busy and we waited more than an hour for the desserts to arrive.

1  Thank Jenny M