“Valentines dinner”

Reuben's
Cuisines: Contemporary, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I booked at Reubens and then read the tripadvisor reviews, which came across as largely negative. So we went in cautious an had the Valentines set menu for for R285 pp. Our dinner was amazing, we took it in, free champagne on arrival, a cosy table by the fireplace an a goodie bags of valentines gifts. Every meal was delicious, carefully made and lekker. Nice helping of meat for mains. Give this place some good publicity people, our meal was lovely and the staff were great. Peace out!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Well known restaurant that prtends to be at least a bit better than average.
This is not the case. Everything about this place was average.
Service was rather cold. Not that they were unfriendly or not professional, but they weren't very warm either.
Food was good , but certainly nothing special.
All in all, I don't think I would come back again. There are lots of other places that made a bigger and more lasting impression.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have been to Reuben's a few times with different people and everyone have always enjoyed it. There is a lot of people saying they don't know what the fuss is about but there really isn't any fuss??? These people probably weren't there with the right people...It's a chilled restaurant (you can really go in your flip flops or dress up a bit) with tasty food or to just chill in the bar area with friends. From my last visit, the service could be better, I will admit that but it hasn't been dismal. The beef tartar is always a favourite, as well as their salmon! Nice wine selection and SO worth it to try the Stellenbrau beer on a hot summer's day :) I will definitely be back soon!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Everyone I spoke to prior going to South Africa said we must have dinner at Reuben's, but my boyfriend and I walked out wondering what all the fuss was about. We booked the day before and had a good table, the place had no atmosphere and felt a little sterile. The food was ok, it was edible but nothing out of this world. The service was ok for us, but the people sat next to us, who were there before us and didn't have a starter, got their meal after us. I felt kind of bad for them really. I'm sure there are enough other places to go in Franschhoek which a worth a visit then this place. Just don't know what the fuss is about.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Beautifully presented food, nice wine list and good value. More casual setting than The Tasting Room.