Gable Manor Guest House
Leeu House(Franschhoek)
$533
$440
Excellent 5/5
The Last Word Franschhoek(Franschhoek)
$332
$302
Excellent 5/5
Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa(Franschhoek)(Great Value!)
$220
$1,082
$747
Travelocity
Great 4.5/5
Protea Hotel by Marriott Franschhoek(Franschhoek)(Great Value!)
$129
Mont Rochelle(Franschhoek)
$464
$396
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsguest houseb bbreakfast roombasic amenitiesnice loungefresh lavenderguest loungestayed for four nightscooked breakfastcape towncold buffetthe main streetmin walkroom was largelittle gemattention to detailhome from home
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at Gabel Manor over Christmas for two nights. When we arrived at the house we rang the bell but nobody opened so we left for the village and returned an hour later. We were then let in and had to fill in the normal registration forms.
The welcome was not as warm and as it normally is in South Africa.
Our room had a good size but was rather dark since most sunlight is blocked by plants on the outside.

The bathroom floor was covered with white fusels from towels (at least that is what I thought in the first moment). When I looked closer I realized that there was more than just fusels, like hair from the previous guest, threads and aluminium foil from medical packages. Also in the shower there were several hairs on the wall and floor from previous guest.

I informed the manager and she called the cleaning staff. I showed her the issues directly in our room. She apologized and said that they have a lot of work and the vacuum cleaner is in the second floor… She then came back with a broom cleaned the floor and promised me too vacuum later. When we returned from dinner the room was in the same condition as when we left. The picture I attached was even taken after her second cleaning.
I started to wonder how well the others things are cleaned…

In my opinion it is already a shame that guest have to ask for a proper cleaning in a five star environment… However if it's then still not done I'm wondering I the management is up to the job.

I have to add that we met the owners at breakfast the first day and they seemed to make a caring impression. I didn't mention to them since I thought the manager will sort it out. When I realized at the second she won't the owner's couple was not at the location anymore…
So after all we didn't feel comfortable and that is one important part of what vacations should be about…

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Iifu
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Gable Manor is a very warm and welcoming place. It's just like your staying with a friend. We were lucky enough to have the downstairs bedroom so we didn't have to cart out luggage upstairs. Nice big bathroom with separate shower and bathtub. Wonderful made to order breakfast included. The staff made all our dinner reservations and they give you slips with all the details on them. Which turned out to be a good thing as our first restaurant did not show our reservation. All it took was showing them the Gable Manor piece of paper and we were in. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Femmevazaha
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Two nights at this award winning b/b were relaxing in every way. Good rooms, excellent sherry, attention to every details, pleasant management (Colleen) and superb breakfast. Only (little) problem is that it is located a bit too far away from the center and the restaurants. Second small problem is that the wifi does not reach the second floor but is fine downstairs

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Warm welcome from staff who were always keen to please; Spacious accommodation and great location with transfer to town centre available;

Breakfast was of a high standard served in very relaxed surroundings.

Also, staff were on hand to change a car wheel when I got a puncture.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Agree with everyone else...amazing attention to detail, a perfect location, and great hosts. I went alone (to wine country!) and still felt perfectly at home. They helped me to rent a bike, dug up a US plug converter for me, and let me rest and recuperate just as I needed. I appreciate that you could choose the time that you want breakfast, which isn't true of all b&bs. And the views...wow. A wonderful experience overall.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo