“Magnificent!”

Ranked #19 of 63 Franschhoek B&B and Inns
Johannesburg
“Magnificent!”
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I are staying here on honeymoon. Such a beautiful setting. Kind helpful people at the front desk. The owner is friendly and took us on a cellar tour which was very informative. They have award winning wines. Highly recommend the lodges on the hill. We stayed at Micky Finn.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Bristol
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed one night in "Maison" which is one of their cheaper options. Perhaps a little rustic round the edges, Maison was very comfortable and has a loveley view across the valley. The breakfast, which was included, was excellent. Maison sleeps 2 couples comfortably and there are two single beds in a mezzanine area suitable for a couple of children. There's a plunge pool outside. The cottage is equipped for self catering. My only negative is that the outside of the main restaurant/accom building looks a bit untidy when you drive in which doesn't bother me too much but might affect those looking for a location for a special celebration.

Room Tip: Maison was quiet - and seemed to be well away from other accommodation.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This place I have to say, just annoys me now.

I originally booked one night here for my birthday last year because I wanted that truly special view and somewhere out in the country. I got there only to find out they had given the room to someone else (I had paid the deposit and I was not checking in late!). They had no other accommodation to give me and only made a feeble attempt to help us find something else (a place in town which was a bit rundown and with no view at all which was very disappointing given that I had traveled far to be there and was so excited for the experience on my birthday).

The lady in charge was not even apologetic and did not seem to care about the mix up at all. Later when we got home we did complain and our deposit was refunded rather quickly (I will give the owner credit for that at least). We also got a voucher. We ended up using it later that year (when I had gotten over being so angry about what had happened) and the views were indeed amazing. However, the friends with us had room issues that time around. Everything else seemed fine though so I thought I would give them another chance.

Now in trying to book with them again the other day (for my sister's visit) because I wanted the view more than I cared about service, I had such unfriendly and unhelpful assistance that I changed my mind right then and there and decided that no matter how nice the view, I will never EVER go back to La Petite Ferme again. Seriously. They need to learn what customer service means! I am not a picky person by nature......you have to be seriously rude or callous to get that statement from me. So there it is.

I hope they get their act together in the future. It is rather a shame to lose out on that view.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank HopelessWanderer
Leeds
Reviewed September 17, 2012

To have a wine tasting tour of a vineyard with the guy responsible for winning this vineyard all it's awards was the icing on the cake for this amazing place. The food is to die for breakfast, but especially lunch (but dont forget to book as it is very popular). The wines are divine and the accomodation is honeymoon/trip of a lifetime standard. There's a few little bits I would have changed but it wouldn't stop me going again. Transport too / from village could have been provided for before/after dinner in town but apart from that I would deffo recommend to everyone I know. It was magical! Thanks Mark for a wonderful tour, you inspired us.

Room Tip: We had a suite looking over the vineyards with private pool. I swear this view could not be beaten.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Booked late for lunch and had to sit in the garden - what a chore!
They set up a table on an elevated terrace overlooking the dramatic lawn slope and facing the valley and mountain backdrop. Gently shaded from the sun and on a beautiful spring day - where else could you want to be
The food was fantastic, we took the recommended options and wines and were not disappointed
After lunch we slept it off in the sun before heading back to Cape Town
Other places in Franschoek may have more impressive credentials, but at lunchtime you would not want to miss La Petite Ferme

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

I just got back from Cape Town. While I was there I went to La Petite Ferme in Franschhoek, approximately 35Km from Cape Town. This restaurant belongs to a Wine Estate and is nestled between beautiful landscapes.
The food menu is small but very selected and there are daily Specials. I had the Chicken Liver Pâté to start with and it was amazing. My main course was the rib eye steak which I enjoyed very much. The wine list is extensive and each wine was available by the glass as well.
The staff is very friendly, attentive and helpful. I very much enjoyed my meal and I definitely will be back the next time I'm in South Africa.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Chateauneuf de Grasse, France
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Close to the beautiful village of Franschhoek sits "La petite ferme", a fantastic hotel and restaurant. I visited in August 2012 (winter time) and I was delighted with the place, the panoramic view over the valley with majestic mountains on the back. Food and wine are esquisite and the service is perfect...with a great smile on each face. I will specifically recommend to try the stuffed aubergine with lamb and a glass of the great shiraz produced locally, and to finish tatste the home made Malva pudding,,,

If you are around Cape Town, don't miss a visit to Franschhoek and the "Petite ferme".

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends