All reviewsfranschhoek kitchensouth african artwine tastingbeautiful estatewine estateheaven on earthstunning locationcape townrooms are spaciousbreakfast was deliciousviews of the mountainsa real treatunderfloor heatingamazing placestayed longerstayed for nightshonesty bar
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Lucky enough to be back here for the third time in as many years. No exaggeration to say the whole team welcomed me like one of the family and delighted to find the inimitable Lameck still working his magic at the front of house.

Some decorative changes to the guest rooms and main living areas which leave this place as close to perfect as it can be.

If you can drag yourself away from the manor house then the estate restaurant (Franschhoek Kitchen) is at the peak of the Western Cape's offering. The Holden Manz art collection (exhibited both in the manor house and in a boutique gallery in the centre of town) showcases the very best of contemporary SA talent. A trip to the gallery is a perfect way to get a little culture between wine tasting and gastronomy! Migo's passion for his artists and their works is self evident and infectious, it's difficult not to be moved by this place and you'll come away feeling a little more stylish and knowledgeable than when you went in.

My favourite spot in the Southern Hemisphere! Keep up the great work.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Kate F
Reviewed January 16, 2014

What a beautiful wine estate and such warm friendly staff. Collette van der Merwe was very helpful in making arrangements. We stayed in the 2 bedroom Oliphant Suite which was just magnificent. Peaceful, comfortable and spacious all at one go.

I felt like we had the whole place to ourselves and Collette helped to arrange a very good babysitter that evening. Lameck our butler was very good and was promptly attentive. They arranged high tea upon our arrival and as I had to drive to Cape Town for a function, I unfortunately missed the wine dinner there on the Estate which I am sure would have been just perfect.

The next morning we had a sumptuous breakfast with delicious fruit and a beautiful spread -- and then went into Franschhoek, a beautiful little town with wineries and chocolate making, Franschhoek Car Museum, and lunch at Haute Cabriere. This is really such a special place. If you love peace and tranquility, and you want to get away for an excursion outside the hustle and bustle of Cape Town (about 45 minutes drive from Cape Town) this is the place to be.

Room Tip: The Oliphant Mountain Suite is magnificent!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BigAppleNewYorkCity
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We had never heard of this hotel and were extremely pleased. They were welcoming, hospitable and we had lovely accommodations. Nothing was too much trouble! We also enjoyed being out of the hustle and bustle of the town. Lameck was beyond fantastic!
The restaurant was excellent and their Big G red was truly wonderful.
We would love to go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Summerhill_13
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We went to Holden Manz to try out their little Spa. Very friendly staff and brilliant massage, so good in fact that we went back the following week for more! Very restful and relaxing, while my husband had his massage they kindly let me use their wifi in the drawing room of the main house. We were not rushed and the whole experience was very good. We also had a wine tasting on the Estate under the umbrellas and enjoyed the beautiful view.

Franchhoek Kitchen (the restaurant on the Estate, has a separate review).

We were staying with family in Franschhoek, I would have loved to stay at Holden Manz, the quality of the house was lovely and I am sure that the rooms would be beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roslyn105
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Our stay at Holden Manz was not only one of the highlights of our trip to South Africa but one of the most memorable places I have ever stayed anywhere in the world. I know and love Franschhoek and the winelands of the Cape but Holden Manz held a special charm, with its beautifully placed, comfortable seating areas where you could enjoy a quiet drink or read a book, in the manor house or the garden, to the wonderful walks through the vineyards and the roaring fire awaiting us in our suite when we returned from an evening meal complete with chocolates on the pillow. The fabulous, charming Lambeck was always the perfect host, serving delicious breakfasts in the morning, complimentary afternoon tea and waiting for us on our return in the evening.

Our reservation was last minute and Colette was very quick to respond to all queries. I had a wonderfully relaxing facial and massage with Diandri at the spa. Our suite was spacious, comfortable and very well lit and furnished, full of charm and character with its high beams and with a private garden terrace and a huge bathrooms. I loved every minute of it and can't wait to return.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple