All reviewsfranschhoek kitchensouth african artwine tastingbeautiful estatewine estateheaven on earthstunning locationcape townrooms are spaciousbreakfast was deliciousviews of the mountainsa real treatunderfloor heatingamazing placestayed longerstayed for nightshonesty bar
Reviewed January 16, 2014

What a beautiful wine estate and such warm friendly staff. Collette van der Merwe was very helpful in making arrangements. We stayed in the 2 bedroom Oliphant Suite which was just magnificent. Peaceful, comfortable and spacious all at one go.

I felt like we had the whole place to ourselves and Collette helped to arrange a very good babysitter that evening. Lameck our butler was very good and was promptly attentive. They arranged high tea upon our arrival and as I had to drive to Cape Town for a function, I unfortunately missed the wine dinner there on the Estate which I am sure would have been just perfect.

The next morning we had a sumptuous breakfast with delicious fruit and a beautiful spread -- and then went into Franschhoek, a beautiful little town with wineries and chocolate making, Franschhoek Car Museum, and lunch at Haute Cabriere. This is really such a special place. If you love peace and tranquility, and you want to get away for an excursion outside the hustle and bustle of Cape Town (about 45 minutes drive from Cape Town) this is the place to be.

Room Tip: The Oliphant Mountain Suite is magnificent!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BigAppleNewYorkCity
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We had never heard of this hotel and were extremely pleased. They were welcoming, hospitable and we had lovely accommodations. Nothing was too much trouble! We also enjoyed being out of the hustle and bustle of the town. Lameck was beyond fantastic!
The restaurant was excellent and their Big G red was truly wonderful.
We would love to go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Summerhill_13
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We went to Holden Manz to try out their little Spa. Very friendly staff and brilliant massage, so good in fact that we went back the following week for more! Very restful and relaxing, while my husband had his massage they kindly let me use their wifi in the drawing room of the main house. We were not rushed and the whole experience was very good. We also had a wine tasting on the Estate under the umbrellas and enjoyed the beautiful view.

Franchhoek Kitchen (the restaurant on the Estate, has a separate review).

We were staying with family in Franschhoek, I would have loved to stay at Holden Manz, the quality of the house was lovely and I am sure that the rooms would be beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roslyn105
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Our stay at Holden Manz was not only one of the highlights of our trip to South Africa but one of the most memorable places I have ever stayed anywhere in the world. I know and love Franschhoek and the winelands of the Cape but Holden Manz held a special charm, with its beautifully placed, comfortable seating areas where you could enjoy a quiet drink or read a book, in the manor house or the garden, to the wonderful walks through the vineyards and the roaring fire awaiting us in our suite when we returned from an evening meal complete with chocolates on the pillow. The fabulous, charming Lambeck was always the perfect host, serving delicious breakfasts in the morning, complimentary afternoon tea and waiting for us on our return in the evening.

Our reservation was last minute and Colette was very quick to respond to all queries. I had a wonderfully relaxing facial and massage with Diandri at the spa. Our suite was spacious, comfortable and very well lit and furnished, full of charm and character with its high beams and with a private garden terrace and a huge bathrooms. I loved every minute of it and can't wait to return.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bld211
Reviewed December 4, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for just two nights at the end of our Cape Town journey. A magnificent house, set beneath the Franschhoek mountain range, rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated- as is the whole estate.

Complimentary bottle of Holden Manz wine in our room for arrival- nice touch.

Lameck is extremely helpful, nothing is too much trouble. He seemed to be the point of call for everything, from booking taxis, serving the delicious breakfast to even lighting up our own bedroom log fire on a stormy evening for our return back from a restaurant. I did wonder if he ever slept!

Restaurant is breathtaking, food outstanding, the restaurant a bit quiet I hope it gets busier because the chef is very talented indeed. Wines are delicious, especially the Big G - we made sure to bring a few bottles home!

Would certainly recommend and hope to visit again one day.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple