Holden Manz Country House
$252
$178
Hotels.com
Protea Hotel by Marriott Franschhoek(Franschhoek)(Great Value!)
$131
$113
$313
$283
Preferred Hotels
$271
$165
Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa(Franschhoek)(Great Value!)
$136
$385
La Residence(Franschhoek)
$751
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfranschhoek kitchensouth african artbeautiful estatean art gallerywine tastingwine estatefelt like homeheaven on earthcape townstunning locationrooms are spaciousviews of the mountainsa real treatunderfloor heatingstayed longerstayed for nightsbreakfast was delicious
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in December on honeymoon and loved it! The location is beautiful, staff are amazing, and the wine is fantastic. We'll be back and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great inn. The location close to the restaurant is great and it's a lovely walk through vineyards to dinner!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank A B
Reviewed February 14, 2013

If you need time out and want to spend it in a low-key paradise, then this could be the place for you. From the cool, roomy, welcoming suites with their high thatched ceilings and shuttered windows you can stroll past the koi pond with its jewel-like fish into the grand living areas of the estate, which open onto a large terrace on which breakfast and high teas are served al fresco. Don't want to leave for lunch or dinner? No problem! A short walk away is the estate's superb restaurant, where you can dine like royalty at very reasonable prices. Or you may wish, after a few hours spent spoiling yourself with treatments in the spa or just lazing by the pool, to make your way into Franschoek proper, with its plethora of restaurants, shops and wonderful galleries (including that owned by Holden Manz). How ever you decide to spend your hours at this fabulous property, your hosts Migo and Gerard, ably assisted by Collette, Lemak and the rest of the estate's discreet and unobtrusive staff, will ensure that your stay is sublime. This was our third visit in two years and we will be back!

Room Tip: We prefer the Stoney Brooke suite, with its own private terrace...you awaken to birdsong and the zephyrs of breeze in the trees: delightful!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emmebean
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I recently stayed 1 night with my partner at Holden Manz in Franschoek, and although it is undeniably a lovely place to stay, I found it to be overpriced. The facilities are good, lovely rooms, and an attractive communal art gallery area. We didn't dine in the restaurant towards the top of the property but did have a wander and it looks very suitably stylish.

Incidentally, this is the first ever review I've posted, sadly to voice my overall disappointment, but the problem I have with HM is that, and what visitors to SA and specifically to Franschoek must appreciate, is that almost all places in SA/Franschoek offer very good quality accommodation, and to a high standard - HM is no exception here, its just unfortunate however that they charge a premium rate but don't deliver a complete product for the money just yet. The staff do appear a little inexperienced, the quality of the breakfast and the service we received was poor (with the exception of Lameck).

I have stayed in several other places in the Franschoek area over the years and consider places such as Plumwood, Akademie, and Franschoek Country House to be every bit as nice and a fraction of the price - a third to be exact in the case of Plumwood.

Unfortunately, as much as I liked the place, I couldn't help but feel a nagging disappointed and a sense of being ripped off, which was most apparent at breakfast. I would return to Franschoek in a heartbeat but wouldn't consider staying at HM again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank David_M1234London
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We recently spent 1 night here and agree with other reviews as to how beautiful & stylish this place is. When we were there there was only 1 other couple staying and we had more interaction with them than anyone else (except Georgina, as I will explain). The owners did not seem to be there which is a pity as that is what it seemed to be lacking, they are entitled to time off though of course. Also, although our room was beautiful, some basic things were quite frustrating e.g. not enough light in the bathroom to shave/ put on make up etc (bulbs were out but positioned in such a way I don't think it would have made a difference) and there was a shaving mirror but it was at waist height and did not seem to move. Also, there was a hair dryer but nowhere to plug it in near a mirror. I need all the help I can get, so these things are important to me! (Comments re shaving are from my husband).
The restaurant was excellent though, and we would definitely go back there. Again, only one other couple was having dinner, but the staff were very welcoming and we were mostly served by Georgina, who was delightfull, very knowledgable about the food and wines & a joy to talk to. When the bill was presented there was a comment about reviewing on Tripadvisor with it, we said something and she said she thought Tripadvisor was only about bad things, we assured it wasn't and that we would mention how helpful she had been. If you go there, please tell her we have done so!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I did not stay there as a guest but a fabulous eating experience and so reasonably priced! Food was absolutely great - every meal was wonderful, wait staff attentive and helpful, ambience lovely and spectacular surroundings. A wonderful and memorable evening!

Room Tip: I did not stay here...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends