All reviewsfranschhoek kitchensouth african artwine tastingbeautiful estatewine estateheaven on earthcape townstunning locationrooms are spaciousbreakfast was deliciousa real treatviews of the mountainsunderfloor heatingamazing placestayed longerstayed for nightshonesty bar
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We have just returned from a 5 night stay at Holden Manz. We found it idyllic and a true home away from home. The setting is truly beautiful, peaceful and relaxing but what makes the stay truly special is the time and trouble taken by Collette (office manager) and Lamek (house keeper), the 2 members of staff who looked after us during our stay. They were amazing and made our stay even more special. Collette was always on hand with great restaurant recommendations, making bookings and arranging taxis’ if necessary. She also went out of her way to show us around the estate and pointed out a fabulous spot on the estate, next to the river, where weather permitting; you could enjoy a picnic provided by their kitchens. (Unfortunately their restaurant was closed at the time of our visit but their menu looked amazing). Lamek was truly outstanding always making sure we had everything we needed from breakfast through to afternoon tea and beyond. He always had our fire burning in our room as well as in the main lounge when we returned from an evening out. Nothing was too much trouble. In fact all the staff we met on the estate were friendly and liked to stop for a quick chat. The hotel is spotless, has great toiletries and linen we can honestly say we had a great stay and hope to return again soon.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pritchp
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Even though it was the middle of the winter, Holden Manz was the perfect place to sneak away from the city for a wonderful evening. The in-room fire place and heated floor made the large room warm and cozy. Lameck made sure that the fire was kept stoked while I was away and returned from dinner to a very comfortable room. Don't forget afternoon tea - almost enough for lunch and the breakfast in the large main room. Grab a book and enjoy the library as well. Such a great place!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TJScore
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Just had lunch at the restaurant. If you sit on their patio, they must have one of the most amazing views in the entire valley. Absolutely quiet and peaceful..... what more could you ask for?

I tried this restaurant out because I heard that they had a new chef who is quite good.
The food was extremely tasty and very well presented. I had a lamb cutlet. If I had to find something to criticize, it would only be that the lamb was a bit fatty, and should have been trimmed more, otherwise it was great.

They waitress was extremely friendly and helpfull.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 25, 2012

“A few days in Paradise.”
My wife & I, accompanied by our two teenage boys had a wonderful April break in the Western Cape. A particular highlight were the 2 nights we spent at the Holden Manz Guest House. The accommodation is restful and charming, the countryside around a real joy to experience (taking a horse ride around the vineyards is well worthwhile - the day long option is recommended)and breakfast is both charming and delicious.

There is no other Guest House or hotel that I have experienced, and I travel extensively, that can match the sheer generosity of Holden Manz hosts. When the tap on the bath in our room malfunctioned, as can happen, I was immediately given the use of the "Master Bedroom" facilities whilst the repair was made.

The setting is indeed magical mountains that reminded me of Gorenska in Slovenia. There are the wonderful estate vineyard. The guest house is a charming Cape Dutch building filed with contemporary South African art.

The estate restaurant is also thoroughly well run & the food of a typically high standard.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HCSACT
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Holden Manz Guest House feels like a home away from home when I go to Franschhoek. My husband and I are world travellers and are discerning about certain things. It did not disappoint. The owners are clearly meticulous about all elements at the guest house - food at the restaurant, curated all-local art work adorning the walls, Africology products in the bathroom, high-thread count bedding and the service are all top-class.

My favourite experience of Holden Manz is waking up to the clouds falling over the mountains. Nothing so spectacular.

Definitely recommend.