La Fontaine Guest House
$175
$306
$278
Preferred Hotels
Protea Hotel by Marriott Franschhoek(Franschhoek)(Great Value!)
$132
$129
Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa(Franschhoek)(Great Value!)
$181
$590
Agoda.com
La Residence(Franschhoek)
$734
All reviewsshared balconythe main streetcomplimentary portguest houseswimming poolpretty courtyardcooked breakfastfamily roomshops and restaurantswine trameasy accesshonesty barnice gardenlarge bathroombooking restaurantslaundry servicefew minutes walk
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I last visited La Fontaine a few years ago and it felt like coming home to be back there. I was warmly greeted by Kathie and Dawn and was shown to my room which was as warm and beautifully furnished as I remembered. It was my first night in SA and after the long uncomfortable overnight flight, it was a pleasure to be in such a comfortable bed, sleeping on luxury linen. Breakfast the next morning was delicious. The home made muesli was the best I have had but I resisted the cooked breakfast that was offered. I hope it won't be too many more years till I am back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
MurrayFranschhoek, Owner at La Fontaine Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. It is wonderful to see returning guests on a regular basis and that year in and year out we offer the same high standard of service and amenities. We are so fortunate to be situated in one of the most beautiful valleys in the world where you can enjoy the outdoors but be close enough to Cape Town - only 1 hrs drive. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to South Africa. Regards, Kathie

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Our group booked a working weekend away at La Fontaine during September 2013.
My first impression of the guest house upon arrival was that it was beautiful and looked every bit as a guest house in Franschoek should look like.
After being greeted by the owners, Richard and Kathie von Hoesslin, we were shown to our rooms, whereafter a warm breakfast awaited us.
I found the living rooms inviting, charming, well kept, beautiful, with loads of comfortable furniture, blankets, and fireplaces to warm up what was one of the Capes coldest weekends.
The bedrooms are spacious, well kept, with dreamy duvets and feather pillows. The bathrooms are well appointed and the big old fashioned bath tub a real treat to relax in.
The old world charm of the rooms combined with the well kept state that it is in, made a lasting impression.
We enjoyed the home cooked food, and the wine that was served during mealtimes.
With regards to the conference setup - we were well looked after with a cosy conference area, a warm fireplace, coffee and tea on tap, and all the electronic equipment we asked for.
Mr and Mrs Hoesslin and their staff made us feel welcome, and went out of their way to look after our group.
I would most certainly return to the guest house upon my next visit to Franschoek - already being planned to be all pleasure and no work.

Room Tip: We had one of the blocks to ourselves, ensuring privacy during our stay. I believe from what I've seen that all of the rooms are similarly well appointed.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank AnneleeLG
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed in one of the garden suites which felt very private and with a fire place which was made up everyday for us we could relax with a glass of wine in the evenings with the fire to keep us warm as was still bit chilly in the evenings. Very friendly staff and a good breakfast. Great location with it being less than 100m from the Main Street which is full of restaurants and shops. Would recommend it and will be back I'm sure.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
MurrayFranschhoek, Owner at La Fontaine Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. The garden suites all have wood burning fireplaces which certainly help to keep the chill out. We have had nearly a metre of rain this winter and we hope we will return to "the sunny South African" climate soon. We look forward to hosting you and/or your friends and family at La Fontaine if they have a chance to visit Franschhoek. Warm wishes, Kathie

Reviewed September 15, 2013

La Fontaine Guest House is old, with poorly furnished and poorly decorated rooms (not even a small desk space); the parking lot is a tight ally where cars line up behind each other and block the exit; furthermore, the service at La Fontaine is not good; since Fransschhoek is known for its great restaurants, I expected to get some local recommendations about them at La Fontaine; instead, the manager there could not make specific recommendation and all she could do was show me the menus of different restaurants she had on her desk. Later during my Wineland tour I found out from my guide that indeed Franschhoek was known for some excellent restaurants but it was too late to find a space in any of them. During breakfast at La Fontaine the waitress did not show up for 25 minutes and I had to walk into the kitchen to ask for an omelet.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your comments. La Fontaine consists of 2 heritage buildings built in 1926 and 1895 which are constantly being renovating and upgrading. The parking is tight but we cannot move the boundries. The local authority ruling is that all cars must be parked on the property and have found what we offer, to be adequate. Menus are made available to show what is on offer at the different restaurants. We explain in detail(price + cuisine) but we prefer the guest to make their own decision. We pride ourselves in our high standard of service as can be seen by the comments on the many great reviews. Many thanks, Kathie

Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for just one night and we were in the Victorian section at the back of the main guesthouse. There was a central living room for the Victorian house with an open fire and large well fitted kitchen. In the evening, when we came back from dinner on the Main Street, we lit the fire, had a glass of wine and chatted with some of the other guests as they came and went - very pleasant. The location is about 50 m from the Main Street, in a parallel road. The Main Street is full of restaurants and shops etc. The gardens around the houses are very tastefully landscaped and there was a terrace/veranda outside our room with a couple of chairs where we could wind-down before heading out for dinner. I could definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review. The gardens are landscaped by our son, who has won many gold awards for his projects. He studied at Wisely, in Surrey and Powis Castle,Wales. He has ensured that the plants are mainly indigenous which attract the many species of sugar birds which visit the garden regularly. The Victorian section has an "olde Worlde" feel which gives an aura of peace and tranquility although we are within close walking distance. We look forward to welcoming you back to La Fontaine on your next visit to Franschhoek.