“Great stay, great service”

Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
Australia
“Great stay, great service”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed at Le Franschhoek Hotel as part of my honeymoon tour of South Africa. Upon arrival, on a rainy rainy day, we were met by very friendly and efficient staff at the hotel front desk. As we had arrived fairly late in the afternoon, there was not much for us to do except to consider dinner and an early night. It isn't the most conveniently located so if you have a car, it's a bonus!
We were shown to our room. Bags taken by the gentlemen. A lovely spacious room with a decent sized bathroom (I think if people think these bathrooms are small, maybe they should visit some hotel bathrooms in Singapore or France?!?!?!). Unfortunately for my husband and I, work was banging on our iPhone. Having departed for our honeymoon the day a major review came out at work, we somehow had to find a way to get some work done. We'd left both computers behind as we were on "honeymoon".
We came down and asked if there was a business centre or something similar that we could use. The gentleman at the front desk picked up on our anxiety and offered for us to use his computer. They brought us a wine list so that we could select a bottle of wine to accompany us while we worked. After finding we were there for a honeymoon, he congratulated us, but of course wanted to know why we were working on our honeymoon! Shame he said! Once our work was complete, we retired to our bedroom. Suddenly, there was a bottle of sparkling waiting for us. Very impressive.
We decided to have dinner at the restaurant. Whilst on our way down, we bumped into the gentleman from front desk again. He asked if we found anything? We said, yes, thank you for the bottle of sparkling. "Is that all you got?!?!", he asked with grave disappointment. We replied with yes, come on, how much are you supposed to expect? Really? Dinner was fantastic. Upon returning to our bedroom, our bed was turned down, rose petals on the bed. I was pleasantly shocked, upon going into the bathroom, that they had also poured us a hot bath with petals. Fantastic!
The rest of our stay was very much in line with this. The service was exceptional throughout our stay. They organised a private wine tour for us and our driver was the most hilarious and friendly guy you could ever ask for. Camelot spa was also fantastic. I can also honestly say, Le Franschhoek Hotel provided us with one of the best breakfasts. I love scraping my honey off the honeycomb!!

I cannot fault anything with Le Franschhoek Hotel. I personally had a great experience with them. I think your own experience and level of enjoyment will be very much dependent on your own expectations of them.

We were on honeymoon. We're pretty laid back and just wanted to have a good time away from chaos. This was a perfect place to do that. We didn't arrive with any expectation other to enjoy our time together away as a newly married couple. We got the best of things from Le Franschhoek Hotel :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
LeFranschhoek, General Manager at Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear hopskipjumptravel

I am so pleased that we could assist you in creating special memories during your honeymoon. I hope that we will be priviliged to host future anniversaries too!

Happy travels!

P.s. Remember, we are purely the stage and you, our guests, the stars :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

On a very rapid trip across the garden route and didnt spend enough time in the area. But this was the jewel in the crown. The local wine area guide Girschen would has a desk in reception he is a must. It is extra but we got driven around the local area vineyards and met owners and went in the cellers. You should go to Dieu Donne late afternoon with sun going down the views over the valley are staggering and the have a restaurant too. We ate in the hotel which was very good.

Room Tip: rear of the hotel overlooking the grounds from the verandah with mountain views
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
LeFranschhoek, General Manager at Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Graham S,

Thank you for posting your review.

We are truly pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Le Franschhoek and hope that we can welcome you back in future!

Happy Travels
Eben Lassen
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in early september. Before writing this review I was mindful of some of the negative comments made by other guests. Firstly Le Franschhoek is a beautiful building with wonderful views of vineyards and mountains resembling an Austrian setting. Our rooms were excellent, clean and tidy. The reception staff were helpful and efficient. The concierge went out of his way to help with trips to wineries and restaurants. The big let down was the service at dinner on the second night. We were one two tables the waitress had to attend to. Her skills were extremely poor, more what you would expect from a cheap city diner. Her attire was poor She spent more time giggling to the chefs and delaying them hence the food was cold. The people at the other table complained I got fed up waiting for her to pour our wine I did it myself This was not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. It's a pity this bad experience colored my view of an otherwise lovely stay. Manager please take note!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
LeFranschhoek, General Manager at Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Denis E,

The manager has certainly taken note! I am glad that you liked our hotel and most apsects of your stay. I am sorry that the dinner experience was not what it should have been. Please be assured that I will address all the issues you highlighted to ensure that there is no reoccurrence.
I hope that we can welcome you back in future.

Eben Lassen
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Nice location in winelands. Grounds were beautiful. Service was just OK. Many of the staff seemed inexperienced. Room was three star at best. Furniture looked "cheap" and carpet in the room was badly stained. Bathroom was tiny. Food in the restaurant was good, but not exceptional. Would certainly would not stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear foodlover7752787,

Thank you for posting your review.
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. At Le Franschhoek Hotel and Spa we believe in a continuous process of improvement . Please be assured that we will use your feedback in that process.

Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This was a spur of the moment family getaway, and I had stayed here a few years ago on business and thought it would be a good option.

The property is elegant and the decor is good - but a touch on the cold side for my taste.

The gardens and views are truly spectacular.

Service is variable, some of the staff are brilliant, others less so. All very friendly though. Food took a long time to come, but when it did, it was very good quality.

A nice touch was the manager/concierge (not sure who he was exactly) checking in on the tables at breakfast and making itinerary suggestions. He was very friendly and helpful and managed to point us to some great activities even though we know the area well.

My only real complaint was a truly awful stench of cigarette smoke wafting in to our room from somewhere below even though everything was shut. The staff seemed completely helpless to even attempt to help. It really spoiled a great night to come home to a stinky room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stayed here in February on a business conference. Hotel was lovely although not quite 5 star standard. Hotel was clean but overall level of service was only average. If I was returning to Franschoek (which I would highly recommend), I think I would book elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Pretoria
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights, 26 - 28 July 2012 at a discounted rate. Was not that impressed when we entered the room and first nights stay was iffy, with room not so clean, bed not so comfortable, slanting. After discussing our issues with Gershon thinking he was the Hotel manager judging from his helpfullness, informing us of where to do wine tasting (La Courrone - Excellent with Hugenot chocloate, thanks Tina! and lunch at Le Petite Ferme that includes a wine tour with John who "romances the vine"), we arrived back at our room to be surpised by a very clean room with extra care taken to impress, thank you Francois!
The Camelot spa is a must to relieve stress!

Value for money at discounted rate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple