“Just(inn) what we needed. Great place!”

Avondrood Guest House
Ranked #1 of 64 Franschhoek B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Being on the road in SA for the 3rd time, we were really lucky we could stay for a second time in Avondrood Guest House. As other reviews mentioned before us, it's difficult to find a better spot where all things come nicely together. We booked the nice Mountain View room a few months ago and learned about the chance in owner. Looking forward to go back, we were nicely surprised as of our arrival. The new host Justin is making the difference. Justin loves his job and he is doing everything to make your stay comfortable. He and his staff prepare you a great breakfast. The rooms are really clean,the garden is well kept. He knows the town and the area very well and is always ready to respond to our queries. The hospitality and service are just what we were hoping for when travelling around in SA.

Room Tip: The very nice "Mountain view" room with it's private terrace and garden corner. Gre...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
avondroodguesthouse, Owner at Avondrood Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your return visit to Avondrood! It is most pleasing to hear that our returning guests are enjoying the experience at Avondrood as much as your first visit, if not more by the sounds of it!

We sincerely hope that you will return for visit number three!!!

There are newer reviews for Avondrood Guest House

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I returned to the Avondrood Guesthouse for a repeat visit. I did so because I had a great experience during my previous stay and with encouragement from the owner. When I went to book my recent stay I found out the the previous owner was no longer there, but I received a very encouraging welcome from the new owner, Justin Mitchell. I must say that the experience was every bit as good as my previous stay. Justin couldn't do enough to ensure that I had a comfortable stay and a delicious breakfast every morning. He attended to booking restaurant reservations and was always ready to suggest where to go and what to see while I was staying in Franschhoek. The rooms are very well appointed and quite comfortable although I would prefer just a bit more light for the nighttime. The hot tub could be warmer as well. All in all, a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Hi TripAdvisor fans!!

Natasha & I would like to share the excellent service & hospitality we received during our stay at Avondrood the past weekend. Justin Mitchell & his Team was absolutely fantastic and did all in their powers to make Natasha feel like a fairytale Bride.

Justin accommodated Natasha & her 2 Bridesmaids in a larger room than what we originally booked; and treated them with MCC, tea served on demand & best breakfast ever.

The rooms are spacious & to excellent standard.

We can't wait to return to Avondrood for our next visit to Franschhoek.

Highly re commended!!

Well Done Justin & Team! Keep it up

Room Tip: Mountain View Room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
avondroodguesthouse, Owner at Avondrood Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a great review! We are so glad that we could spoil you over your wedding weekend! It has to be super special, given that it's one of the greatest days of one's life!

We wish you a lifetime of happiness together and we hope that the wonderful memories made here at Avondrood will bring you back for an anniversary or two!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Many thanks Justin and team for looking after us so well and allowing us the use of a room on our last day whilst waiting for our late flight home.
You have lovely guest house in a delightful town. Hope we can come back one day
Anna and John

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review of your stay at Avondrood! It was a pleasure to offer you the use of our public areas on your day of departure as we know how much of a difference that makes before a long flight home!

We sincerely hope to host you again someday!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Great hospitality; beautiful rooms equipped with everything you want: bath, fridge, TV, airco, etc.
Great lounge and very well equipped bar.
Excellent breakfast.
Only one remark: the inside parking area is not always large enough to accomodate the cars of all guests. On a particular evening, when we were coming back from dinner, we had to leave our car outside in the street.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Avondrood Guesthouse. It can be a challenge at times to ensure that our guests park correctly as there are exactly six parking bays for the six rooms. The good news is that with just six cars, we know which car belongs to each of our guests and so next time, just bring the car in, even if you park someone in, and we will solve the problem in the morning!

Reviewed November 15, 2013

This place is tops. I was pretty happy here. It's a good location and the owner has true passion for his business. The place is charming with a large courtyard and green space. It appeared to me as if many of the guests felt no need to leave the grounds--they were all greased up and laying about on the abundance of outdoor chaises. There is a large statue of an elephant covered with coffee beans, which, for the coffee-lover in me, combined two of my favorite things (coffee and African game) in one delightful work of art! My room was the "Old Village." The "Old Village" came with a sort of poetic description of days gone by. I think it might have been geared more for the elderly, as a younger person like me is always looking towards the future--! But that made little difference, as the room was extremely comfortable and charming.

The owner (whose name is..?) is extremely accommodating. He is a most gracious host. He made me an omelette when I wanted one, listened to my solo-traveler endless prattle as if what I were saying were actually interesting, and ran out to get peppermint schnapps when I decided I just HAD to try South Africa's famous shooter the "Springbok." Believe it or not, he actually did the shot with me!

The wine tram passes right by this establishment, and I even got front-door drop-off service from them. I was drunk and jumped in the pool fully clothed. I was given permission to do this by the owner, which I guess kinda negated the semi-rebellious nature of the act, but still--I was hot. And the point is--in his ever-hospitable way, he encouraged me. The pool was delicious and cool and even the greased-up elderly in the chaise lounge nearby did not curtail my enjoyment. And afterwards--the staff washed my clothes!

So, the best part of this place? All those comfy pillows. Six pillows! This is the only guesthouse in South Africa where I received, as a matter of course, six pillows--the standard is four. And I'm not talking "six pillows" when two of them are decorative little throw-pillows--I'm talking six, like, real pillows for sleeping. Two of the six are super-ginormous, so it's almost like you have eight pillows. It is possible, when you have that many pillows, to arrange yourself almost as if you are floating on air--one under the knee, another cushioning the thigh, another holding up the arm, etc--so the sleeping here is really good. Great, even (of course I always sleep well, my conscience being clean).

So, in conclusion--there is an espresso machine! That's not the conclusion, but I had to mention it, because it made me very happy. So, in conclusion, stay here. If you like to read at night, the bedside lamps are unfortunately very dim, but you are probably looking for a place to "make love" and I think the "Old Village" would do you right, the name aside. Afterwards, you can rest your tired body parts on the pillows and/or cool them down in the pool. It'll be great! Don't forget to do a Springbok shot--there's a nearly-full bottle of peppermint schnapps just waiting for you--!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We recently stayed at Avondrood guesthouse and I can not find a single fault with this lovely guesthouse. Everything was perfect from the moment we checked in to the minute Justin send us off in our taxi.

Avondrood's manager, Justin, is a wonderful host. He greeted us with a smile every morning and was always willing to go the extra mile. He was always on hand to suggest and book some great restaurants and suggested which wineries to visit.

The rooms are lovely, bright, spacious and has the most beautiful views! They are turned down every evening by one of the three lovely ladies that work at Avondrood.

Breakfast is included in the price and you will not be disappointed. We could choose from a variaty of cold meats, fresh fruit, yogurts and some amazing pastries (the cinnamon swirls are to die for and come from a local little bakery) and then you can also have a lovely cooked breakfast.

Honestly, I've stayed a few hotels and guesthouses but nothing comes close to Avondrood. I'm already planning my next trip to Franschhoek and I know where I'll be staying.

Thank you very much to Justin and his lovely little "crew" who made our stay a wonderful and truly memorable one!

Room Tip: Any room at Avondrood is great!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
avondroodguesthouse, Owner at Avondrood Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Wow, this wonderful review has given all of us the boost that we need, going in to the season! Thank you for your wonderful feedback and we hope that we will have the opportunity of hosting you again next year!

Justin & The Team