“Unbeatable value”

Cape Town
“Unbeatable value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

Dear Ben du Toit and staff

Thank you very much once again for a wonderful evening at your guest house. We have returned to this fabulous place more than a dozen times and hope to return many times in the future. I have already booked again for October and look forward to return.

Thanks for all the special treats and attention of the past two days. I have stayed in many national and international five star hotels and none can match up to the Franschoek Villas. The service levels and genuine friendly staff is unbeatable. The food is always excellent.

Ben, you must be the best and most friendly manager I have ever met and has been consistently so since we have met you.

I hope they pay your what you deserve. I think your deserve a big bonus for the success of this excellent guest house to which you and the staff contribute hugely.

I have recommend your guest house extensively in the past and will continue to do so.

Kind regards

Landi and Claudia Lombard

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Cape Town
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed for 1 night for our Honeymoon. The Monneaux Restaurant was fantastic, burning fire, fabulous meal and service.

The "Luxury Room" was worn-out looking , the Luxury bed was two very hard single mattresses pushed together, making a ridge down the middle of the bed. The carpets a little grubby and tired looking. The bathroom was old and jaded, just not good enough for 5 star, I feel they've got a cheek calling this a Luxury Room. Go to Abalone House in Paternoster to see what a 5 star room looks like.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

My wife and I stayed at these gorgeous villas while we made our way through South African wine country on route during our honeymoon. The gorgeous yellow, French provincial buildings, with the trellises, herb gardens, swimming pools, fragrant air and beautiful surrounding mountain views made this place such a quaint and romantic place to stay. The staff was so lovely and sweet, they gave us some special honeymoon treatment, and we had a delicious breakfast in their restaurant. It's right in Franschhoek, and a perfect spot to visit the amazing vineyards of Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

We stayed at the Franschhoek Country House & Villas in a Villa suite. The main purpose of our visit to Franschhoek was to enjoy a few days of wine tasting.... however the hotel was so amazing we barely left the grounds. The Villa Suite was beautifully decorated and very spacious with all the mod cons. We had a large balcony on which we spent the evenings drinking fantastic wine into the early hours. The food at the hotel restaurant far exceeded our expectations and even the lunch menus were well thought through. My husband ordered the prawn dish twice in one sitting!

The service was also spot on throughout our stay. We were greeted with welcome hors d'oeuvres and fizz in our hotel room. They weren't intrusive yet we never wanted for anything. They even managed to pull some strings at the last minute and get us a table at Le Quartier Français. Thank you Franschhoek Country House & Villas - we will be back next year!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed here as part of our honeymoon in March and we throughly enjoyed it. We got an upgrade because of our honeymoon and the room was amazing, so spacious, clean and luxurious. The staff were so friendly and helpful and we received champagne on arrival. They also had a courteous driver service that was fantastic - they drove us everywhere at no additional cost. I also used the spa and had the best massage I had anywhere in S.A and it was very reasonable. I would very much recommend a stay here and would love to go back myself!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2010

We felt like stepping into a movie. 100 squaremeter suite, we were really satisfied with our stay. And the surroundings are really beautiful, and the staff were always very helpful

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

Before arriving I emailed bookings for dinner and a spa booking. Stupidly though I deleted my email and so requested confirmation from the hotel of the times I had booked. I got back from them what can only be described as a 'snotty' response implying that I was an inconvenience. Had it not been do close to our holiday I would have cancelled. The rates are expensive and the room lived up to what I expected however manners cost nothng and I felt their response was totally unacceptable.

As it turned out the time they gave me for the spa treatment was actually incorrect anyway and, as a consequence, I missed part of my appointment. Apologies were forthcoming but, again, not what I expected.

The room was lovely with our large comfy bed downstairs and a sitting room upstairs; both very country chic. Having a terrace on each level was lovely and we made the most of the views from here over the vineyards beyond with a glass of wine in hand - very relaxing.

The bathroom was stylish and modern though on arrival we had to request towels as none had been left and the complementary toiletries were not replaced once they had been used. Again - not the service expected of 5* hotel.

Food at the hotel was of a very high quality and we enjoyed both breakfast and evening meals. The highly acclaimed restaurant was quite competitively priced though lacking a little in terms of ambience. Perhaps this was because there were not many diners and we felt as though we were a bit on show with so many staff left standing around. Breakfast was served in a different venue and this was a lovely, light, airy room. Unfortunately, mistakes were made on our breakfast order on both days. This wasn't a massive problem but again, jarred.

It is, as has been said, too far out to walk into the town and there is little else but the hotel in the immediate vicinity. Franschoek itself is charming with a real village feel and a mix of little 'one-off' shops alongside larger, more upmarket ones. There are other restaurants and hotels in the town too and, if we were to return, I would investigte these rather than the hotel in which we stayed on this visit

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple