My wife and I disagree about this hotel she thinks 4 and I think 5, as I am writing a review it got a 5. I would happily go back to this hotel the rooms are expensive but they are extremely well decorated and they are set in beautiful grounds with two swimming pools. The decor is French Hugenots and we stayed in room 22 which had a drawing room, a huge bedroom, a balcony with two sun loungers and a bathroom with rolltop bath, shower, double basins and overall there was so much room we could have thrown a party and still had room to spare.
The complex is set on the main road, however we did not notice this at all, and as we had a car it was easy to get in and out of town and the surrounding winelands. The town is in easy walking distance although as with the rest of South Africa there is the odd beggar orpaking attendent around.
The breakfast was varied and there was enough for all, although the apple pancakes were a bit more like a dessert than a breakfast item. All the food was very tasty and you could sit on the balcony overlooking the gardens which is a great way to start the day. We did eat dinner in the hotel one night and I thought the food was very good, we did also eat in Reubens one night and I though the food in the hotel was cheaper and better than Reubens. I did not think the hotel was too expensive (although it was not cheap either) and the restaurant was very pretty plus they served Chocolate Block by the glass which is a very tasty wine.
The service in the hotel was excellent and we wanted for nothing, also the business centre was very good, the pool area is clean with ornate sun loungers and towels in baskets, plus drinks served by the attentive staff. There is a treatement/spa area however we did not have time for this as we were out and about in the wine lands. I would recommend visiting Spier as the wine is very good and they have a cheetah sanctuary, Bread an Wine have great food and their Chardonnay is excellent and Boekenhautskloop does the chocolate block which as I have said is excellent. The Thelema vineyard did some excellent wines and we also popped into the chocolate shop in the town and also the ice cream place in the centre of town is excellent.
Overall I would definitely go back to Franschhoek and I would go back to these villas, however when we go back to South Africa I would try out another villa first so that I could compare the prices Although the room was superb we spent so little time there that I am wondering whether a cheaper room would be a better use of money, however don't let this put you off as this is a beautiful place and you will no be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by enchanting vineyards and majestic mountains, this small Boutique hotel is set on the outskirts of the town of Franschhoek, in the Cape Winelands less than an hours drive from Cape Town. Offering a selection of standard, luxury, garden cottages and the exclusive villa suites. With a top rated award winning restaurant, guests can relax and enjoy the hospitality, laze at the pool, enjoy a massage or stroll on the world-renowned charming town of Franschhoek. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Franschhoek Country House & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Franschhoek Country House And Villas
- Franschhoek Country House & Villas Hotel Franschhoek
- Franschhoek Country Hotel
- Franschhoek Country Boutique Hotel