“Really enjoed our time here”

Boschendal Manor & Winery
Book In Advance
$23.31*
Vine Hopper: Hop-On Hop-Off Wine Tour - Eastern Route
$76.91*
and up
Private Tour: Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl Wine-Tasting Tour from Cape...
$155.37*
Guided Wine Lands Day Tour from Cape Town
Ranked #4 of 60 things to do in Franschhoek
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Agriculture and a simple farm lifestyle is at the heart of Boschendal. One of the oldest farms in South Africa, founded 1685, the farm has grown with the passing centuries into a cherished source of wholesome produce, great wines and happy memories. Set in the Drakenstein Valley surrounded by dramatic mountain landscapes, lush gardens and vines, the original farmstead complex is now a national monument with a rich and intriguing history of more than 300 years. Today, Boschendal is a Cape winelands icon and a cherished wine and food destination. Our vineyards and fruit trees have been joined by vegetable gardens and a growing herd of free range, 100% pasture fed Angus cattle reflecting our commitment to serving wholesome farm-to-table food. Guest accommodation is also a recent addition to the farm with luxurious cottage accommodation ranging from the exclusive and historic Rhodes Cottage built by Sir Herbert Baker to the elegantly restored Werf Cottages. Cottage guests enjoy access to the entire farm where they can walk and cycle on trails through mountain fynbos, dine under the stars, have picnics and sundowners in exclusive areas, fly-fish in the dams and swim in pristine mountain water.
England
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Really enjoed our time here”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We really enjoyed our time here, learning about how the wine was made and how the different processes took place. The 5 wines were chosen for us and the first three we found very palatable how ever the Shiraz and the Merlot were not our favourites. If you want to try a beautiful Rose try the Blanc de noir, just delicious!

Visited April 2013

• Czech first
Walsall
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 184 helpful votes
“Interesting history”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Decided to stop by on our way through Franschhoek. Despite there being a wedding at the winery we were welcomed into the wine tasting area. The setting is beautiful. We opted for the tour of the cellars as well as the tasting and were not disappointed. I agree with other comments that choosing all five wines from a list and getting them all at once is not the ideal way to taste wines. Other vineyards we visited took more time and explained the wines in more detail. Didn't eat in the restaurant so can't coment on the food or service. The tasting and tour were fine. The 2009 SMV was one of the best red wines I have ever tasted.

Visited April 2013
Stellenbosch, South Africa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Le Cafe is Le Poor”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Boschendal hold fond memories for me. I popped in for a visit to this beautiful wine estate. I am however really unhappy about the service at their a la carte restaurant, Le Cafe. Greeting was less than welcoming. I was given a menu by who I assume to be the manager on duty and told that a Jo-Anne will be with me shortly. Didn't realize we were still in the age where managers can't take drinks orders...
A good 5 or so min later the manager comes past and inquires whether I've been served. Clearly not.
The cheeseboard was not presented very well. The salad accompanying the cheese was wilted lettuce, what looked like a discarded cucumber ribbon and a cherry tomato.
No further offer was made for another glass of wine. My cheeseboard and empty wine glass was cleared, 20min (I actually timed this, so this is not exaggeration) later still no offer of dessert, drinks or the bill. I took a wander through the restaurant to find someone so I could settle my bill. Standing around looking lost at the till for a good few minutes I was finally assisted.
I doubt I would visit Le Cafe again. I will however give their picnic section a try as Boschendal is just too pretty not to visit agin.

Visited May 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“my least fave winery thus far”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stopped in to this winery during one of our many wine trips. I will have to say that this has been my least favorite winery in terms of taste. The grounds are beautiful. The wine was just average and I left my tasting disappointed with not preferring any of them. My two friends were also unsatisfied.

Visited May 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Not sure what all the hype is about...”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This winery was often mentioned on lists of popular wineries in Franschhoek so we decided to make it one of our stops. My husband and I were very underwhelmed with the wines and the experience here.... You get to pick 5 wines each for the tasting then the waitress brings them all out at once with a brochure describing them - not my ideal way to taste wines! There is a large area of green grounds but not much more in terms of scenery, especially compared to some of the amazing scenery we saw at other vineyards. Would have skipped this one as there are many other vineyards to chose from.

Visited March 2013