“Le Cafe is Le Poor”

Vine Hopper: Hop-On Hop-Off Wine Tour - Eastern Route
Ranked #4 of 59 things to do in Franschhoek
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Agriculture and a simple farm lifestyle is at the heart of Boschendal. One of the oldest farms in South Africa, founded 1685, the farm has grown with the passing centuries into a cherished source of wholesome produce, great wines and happy memories. Set in the Drakenstein Valley surrounded by dramatic mountain landscapes, lush gardens and vines, the original farmstead complex is now a national monument with a rich and intriguing history of more than 300 years. Today, Boschendal is a Cape winelands icon and a cherished wine and food destination. Our vineyards and fruit trees have been joined by vegetable gardens and a growing herd of free range, 100% pasture fed Angus cattle reflecting our commitment to serving wholesome farm-to-table food. Guest accommodation is also a recent addition to the farm with luxurious cottage accommodation ranging from the exclusive and historic Rhodes Cottage built by Sir Herbert Baker to the elegantly restored Werf Cottages. Cottage guests enjoy access to the entire farm where they can walk and cycle on trails through mountain fynbos, dine under the stars, have picnics and sundowners in exclusive areas, fly-fish in the dams and swim in pristine mountain water.
Stellenbosch, South Africa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Le Cafe is Le Poor”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Boschendal hold fond memories for me. I popped in for a visit to this beautiful wine estate. I am however really unhappy about the service at their a la carte restaurant, Le Cafe. Greeting was less than welcoming. I was given a menu by who I assume to be the manager on duty and told that a Jo-Anne will be with me shortly. Didn't realize we were still in the age where managers can't take drinks orders...
A good 5 or so min later the manager comes past and inquires whether I've been served. Clearly not.
The cheeseboard was not presented very well. The salad accompanying the cheese was wilted lettuce, what looked like a discarded cucumber ribbon and a cherry tomato.
No further offer was made for another glass of wine. My cheeseboard and empty wine glass was cleared, 20min (I actually timed this, so this is not exaggeration) later still no offer of dessert, drinks or the bill. I took a wander through the restaurant to find someone so I could settle my bill. Standing around looking lost at the till for a good few minutes I was finally assisted.
I doubt I would visit Le Cafe again. I will however give their picnic section a try as Boschendal is just too pretty not to visit agin.

Visited May 2013

• Czech first
Saint Louis, Missouri
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“my least fave winery thus far”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stopped in to this winery during one of our many wine trips. I will have to say that this has been my least favorite winery in terms of taste. The grounds are beautiful. The wine was just average and I left my tasting disappointed with not preferring any of them. My two friends were also unsatisfied.

Visited May 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Not sure what all the hype is about...”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This winery was often mentioned on lists of popular wineries in Franschhoek so we decided to make it one of our stops. My husband and I were very underwhelmed with the wines and the experience here.... You get to pick 5 wines each for the tasting then the waitress brings them all out at once with a brochure describing them - not my ideal way to taste wines! There is a large area of green grounds but not much more in terms of scenery, especially compared to some of the amazing scenery we saw at other vineyards. Would have skipped this one as there are many other vineyards to chose from.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank bpandi1
furness vale
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Lovely spot and picnic shame about the wine”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We really enjoyed the picnic. Beautiful place and tasty food. The service was also very friendly and good. Unfortunately we didnt enjoy the wine tasting at all and would recommend to anyone to skip it. The wine is average at best and the room where the wine tasting actually takes place looks shabby and like something out of 1960s. We had to go to the bar each time we were ready to taste the next wine rather than somedy coming over to us. The barman didn't give us any information about the wines we were tasting. Really poor compared with other wine estates we'd visited.

Pretoria, South Africa
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Relax under oak”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The approach drive past the duck pond and bandstand down the tree lined avenue to the manor house sets the tone for the relaxing lunch under oak trees.
The waiters were attentive and unobtrusive. We opted for the picnic basket and were delighted with the contents. All fresh and the coronation chicken one of the best I've tasted in a long while. We did ask the staff about one of the two pate's in the basket. We were slightly unsure of what it was, and so were the staff!
This is the place to relax, unwind and enjoy the delicious food, served in a picnic basket and most sociable.

Visited February 2013