“Great location”

Le Quartier Francais
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
Reviewed August 8, 2007

Stayed for 1 night and dined in their tasting rooms. Lovely hotel and wished we stayed for at least 2 nights as Franschhoek is lovely town with phenomenal scenery. Hotel arranged a private wine tasting tour for us.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 24, 2007

Great hotel in the heart of the Western Cape wine region. Fantastic rooms and grounds. Berakfast was good. Dinner was ridiculously overrated and overpriced. There are better restaurants to be had in the area.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amsterdammit
Reviewed July 19, 2007

We stayed at Le Quartier Francais for two nights in late June. We thought that the room and the hotel were extremely cute and charming in that french country bed and breakfast kind of way. Unfortunately, the famous Tasting Room was closed while we were there, but we ate at Ici several times for breakfast and for dinner once. The room were really cute and they put hot water bottles in your bed to keep in warm when you climbed in at night. The floors had radiant heating which was great in the winter.The food was very good, but not world class, (but of course we did not eat at the formal dining room/ Tasting room), but perhaps I expected something more with the close affiliation to the Tasting Room. It was too cold for us to take advantage of the pool. We did light fires at night which was romantic and kept the room cozy. They also had a nice selection of DVD's which was nice. Our most memorable meal was at La Petite Ferme; which was nearby-fabulous french country food with a superb wine selection. We had also booked Reubens which was across the street from LQF, but we were a bit disappointed after all the hype. The portions at Reubens were huge and the food was solid, but definitely not that special. I think LQF is a great getaway if you are going to the winelands and I would defiitely stay there again. It was also right on the main street of the town which made it easy to walk around the town, but come back to the hotel to eat or just for a break. The hotel also was great at offering to pick us up after lunch at La Petite Ferme.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gona40
Reviewed July 19, 2007

We stayed here as part of a 3 week honeymoon in South Africa, and of everywhere we stayed it was probably the only disappointing place we stayed at. We loved: Franschoek, the hotel location, the pretty courtyards and the outside of the hotel, the 'tasting menu' in their restaurant (we were exhausted afterwards!). We weren´t so keen on: the standard of the rooms (looking tired and a bit dated), general organisation (forgot we had booked tours, no drivers around, etc), their wine tour (a complete rip-off), overall service. Franschoek is a must visit on the wine route, and the surroundings are stunning, but if we went again I think we would look for somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rosilla
Reviewed May 15, 2007

I have to agree with a previous poster. I expected more of this hotel.
The rooms were nice, but I was very dissapointed by the restaurant - we had the same experience as a previous poster with the tasting menu. I had to order more food as everything was so little and extremely expensive!! . I would rather prefer staying at one of the wine estates which is much better value for money! I really think this hotel is a bit overrated if I look at the overall experience I had.

• Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank MediaManagerSA
Reviewed March 18, 2007

Stayed at Le Quartier Francais for 2 nights in mid-December 2006 in a Four Quarters suite. The whole experience was amazing. The region itself is absolutely stunning with beautiful wineries, flowers and mountains. As for the hotel the suite was quite possibly the best room I have stayed in with two huge rooms, a massive bed, ipod dock, two tvs, free minibar and complimentary snacks in the afternoon, and an amazing bathroom. The decor was modern and stylish.

There are four suites and they all share a pool and all share the breakfast area. I think this was an additional good point about the suites in that you got to meet other people staying there and listen to their experiences - indeed it was talking to one other Dutch couple that we decided to visit a particular winery which we really enjoyed. The hotel also organised a wine tour for us one day that lasted the entire day and gave a really good insight into the area.

As for food we ate at The Tasting Rooms on the second night having the 8 course menu and loved it! As with all these types of menu the portions are small, however, by the end of the meal I was full and enjoyed every course and the different wines that we tried.

The staff at the hotel were great and the owner was very friendly and took time to speak to you personally. All in all and absolutely amazing experience.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobM74
Reviewed February 24, 2007

Decided to stay one night at this hotel in order to eat at the Tasting Room which is on a list called The World's 50 Best Restaurants 2006.
Bear in mind that the entire experience cost more than I earn in an average month and that I live in Cape Town so I probably am not so taken in by the romanticism of being in the Cape Winelands. For me Franschhoek the town is actually quite an unattractive location. I think the mountains surrounding the town are beautiful and I would definitely suggest you take a drive to the end of Franschhoek where the monument is and turn left and then head up the mountain pass to experience beautiful views. If you have time and are feeling adventurous that route is a long and interesting drive back to Cape Town. Actually the drive takes you through a town called Grabouw which is kind of what Franschhoek would be like without the tourist trap vibe.
The hotel itself is beautiful; a lovely oasis away from the main street of the town which frightened me. I took two walks out of the hotel; on the first occasion a group of children under the age of five shouted obscenities at me in Afrikaans. On the second walk I witnessed a foreign tourist (part of a large tour group I think) get knocked over by a car in the main street. Needless to say I didn't go out for a third walk but decided to spend a luxurious afternoon in my room which was beautiful. The DVD collection in reception is available to guests which was particularly appreciated by me because there wasn't much else to do while waiting for supper.
I did have lunch at the wine farm Moreson which is in some way connected to the hotel. There is a restaurant called Bread & Wine which is very much the opposite of the Tasting Room, i.e. It's very relaxed.
Dinner at The Tasting Room was an experience I shall not forget. I had the 8 courses with wine but it was a bit overwhelming for me and disappointing, probably because I rushed through it and the service was just a bit too efficient for my liking. It was interesting but I wouldn't do it again.
Lunch the next day at iCi, the other restaurant on the premises was fantastic ... really beautiful location on the patio with a view of the mountains.
Something I really liked about the hotel was the fireplace in the room which I had going for hours even though this was the middle of summer.
What I didn't like about my room was the excessive use of lavender smelling room spray. I spent hours trying to air the room only to come back from dinner to notice the room had been freshly resprayed. My luggage still smells of it!!!

Stayed: February 2007