“Overrated”

Le Quartier Francais
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
Reviewed May 15, 2007

I have to agree with a previous poster. I expected more of this hotel.
The rooms were nice, but I was very dissapointed by the restaurant - we had the same experience as a previous poster with the tasting menu. I had to order more food as everything was so little and extremely expensive!! . I would rather prefer staying at one of the wine estates which is much better value for money! I really think this hotel is a bit overrated if I look at the overall experience I had.

• Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank MediaManagerSA

Reviewed March 18, 2007

Stayed at Le Quartier Francais for 2 nights in mid-December 2006 in a Four Quarters suite. The whole experience was amazing. The region itself is absolutely stunning with beautiful wineries, flowers and mountains. As for the hotel the suite was quite possibly the best room I have stayed in with two huge rooms, a massive bed, ipod dock, two tvs, free minibar and complimentary snacks in the afternoon, and an amazing bathroom. The decor was modern and stylish.

There are four suites and they all share a pool and all share the breakfast area. I think this was an additional good point about the suites in that you got to meet other people staying there and listen to their experiences - indeed it was talking to one other Dutch couple that we decided to visit a particular winery which we really enjoyed. The hotel also organised a wine tour for us one day that lasted the entire day and gave a really good insight into the area.

As for food we ate at The Tasting Rooms on the second night having the 8 course menu and loved it! As with all these types of menu the portions are small, however, by the end of the meal I was full and enjoyed every course and the different wines that we tried.

The staff at the hotel were great and the owner was very friendly and took time to speak to you personally. All in all and absolutely amazing experience.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RobM74
Reviewed February 24, 2007

Decided to stay one night at this hotel in order to eat at the Tasting Room which is on a list called The World's 50 Best Restaurants 2006.
Bear in mind that the entire experience cost more than I earn in an average month and that I live in Cape Town so I probably am not so taken in by the romanticism of being in the Cape Winelands. For me Franschhoek the town is actually quite an unattractive location. I think the mountains surrounding the town are beautiful and I would definitely suggest you take a drive to the end of Franschhoek where the monument is and turn left and then head up the mountain pass to experience beautiful views. If you have time and are feeling adventurous that route is a long and interesting drive back to Cape Town. Actually the drive takes you through a town called Grabouw which is kind of what Franschhoek would be like without the tourist trap vibe.
The hotel itself is beautiful; a lovely oasis away from the main street of the town which frightened me. I took two walks out of the hotel; on the first occasion a group of children under the age of five shouted obscenities at me in Afrikaans. On the second walk I witnessed a foreign tourist (part of a large tour group I think) get knocked over by a car in the main street. Needless to say I didn't go out for a third walk but decided to spend a luxurious afternoon in my room which was beautiful. The DVD collection in reception is available to guests which was particularly appreciated by me because there wasn't much else to do while waiting for supper.
I did have lunch at the wine farm Moreson which is in some way connected to the hotel. There is a restaurant called Bread & Wine which is very much the opposite of the Tasting Room, i.e. It's very relaxed.
Dinner at The Tasting Room was an experience I shall not forget. I had the 8 courses with wine but it was a bit overwhelming for me and disappointing, probably because I rushed through it and the service was just a bit too efficient for my liking. It was interesting but I wouldn't do it again.
Lunch the next day at iCi, the other restaurant on the premises was fantastic ... really beautiful location on the patio with a view of the mountains.
Something I really liked about the hotel was the fireplace in the room which I had going for hours even though this was the middle of summer.
What I didn't like about my room was the excessive use of lavender smelling room spray. I spent hours trying to air the room only to come back from dinner to notice the room had been freshly resprayed. My luggage still smells of it!!!

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank townesfriend
Reviewed February 18, 2007

We stopped here for only one night as part of a wider tour. A big mistake; the hotel was extremely comfortable and set in a very picturesque location and we wished that we had been here for at least two nights to enjoy it more.

Our room was huge and well-equipped. The swimming pool was unusual in being constructed of black granite (to keep more heat in) and was refreshing.

In the restaurant we had the 8-course tasting menu (R500 [£35] or R760 with wine [£55]). This was an experience in itself with every course being exquisitly prepared and presented and we thoroughly recommend it. The only observation we would make was that no one course predominated as being the "main" course which makes the occasion slightly less memorable.

Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2007

We spent 3 nights here in January. It is a very pretty hotel and the rooms are good but there is an air of slackness about it. We did not knowingly encounter the manager during our stay and the service was not organised - eg three different people in succession regularly coming to take our order. On one occasion, at midday, we and six other guests were asked to leave the pool area so that the grass could be mown!

There is better food to be had in Franschhoek and the surrounding wine estates. We made the mistake of ordering the tasting menu - eight expensive, ridiculous and pretentious courses. It was largely liquid - a spoonful of soup, a spoonful of sorbet, ditto mousse. Even the foie gras had been liquidised! When it was over, we both could have done with a cheese sandwich.

Not the place it was when last I visited 12 years ago.

• Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank atticuss
Reviewed November 21, 2006

Sweet little 'houses' arranged around a garden enclosed pool - idyllic setting.
Rooms enormous - but the decor is a wee bit dated - no mini bar and no tea making facilities (sometimes you just dont want to have to call room service)
The main part of the hotel is the restaurant - so there's not much in the way of lounge or lobby for residents.

Breakfast - fab - but there were too many flies for comfort.

The screening room - their own mini-cinema is a treat too - wine and nibbles served at your seat!!

Had a tour of the 4 Quarters - their new super luxe rooms - they are beautiful - decor is gorgeous - but the rooms share a courtyard and pool so you wont have privacy.

The staff were really great - but overall I think a little to much hype and the prices by SA standards are steep

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Hort_and_Culture
Reviewed November 13, 2006

If you are travelling the winelands this is the place to stay. Seconds away from Franschhoek main streets you will be spoilt for choice with the restaurants, art galleries and curio shops.
This is the place to stay if you want high standards of comfort and service. Wonderful ambience and a high attention to detail.
The tasting menu with wines is not for the faint hearted. Beautifully cooked innovative food using only the freshest ingedients is the order of the day. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends