We stayed here for two nights because we wanted to round off our trip to South Africa in a memorable way.
We pre-booked a table on the first night in the 'Tasting Room' and for us, this restaurant lived up to all our expectations. The food was exceptional and service was good.
However, the hotel itself was a little disappointing and it is difficult to pinpoint exactly why. The staff on reception were incredibly helpful and were more than happy to help in any way they could. They also offer a complimentary car to take you to other places if you wish dine out in the village or valley (although they don't seem to publicise this - we only found out because we asked them to book us a taxi).
The pool area was nice, although small. and you could have treatments by the pool if you wished.
The rooms were reasonably spacious and well equipped although they don't provide either a mini bar or coffee/tea making facilities. I suppose I was expecting the room to be exceptionally good and in this I was a little disappointed - certainly would not say that it was any better than some of the other (much cheaper) rooms we stayed in.
Breakfast was ok but nothing special - ironically (given the hotel's reputation for food) my 'soft boiled eggs' were hard!.
Clearly, the restaurant is the main focus for 'le Quartier Francais' and I felt that the hotel part is a bit of an afterthought. In particular, there are no resident lounges in which to sit and read or have a drink (there is a bar area but this is open to the public).
Overall whilst the staff do a very good job I didn't come away feeling pampered. We hope to return to Franschoek in the future but I think that whilst I would certainly book a table in the restaurant I would choose to stay somewhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 83 Km from Cape Town, Le Quartier Francais is in the heart of the vineyards of the famous Franschhoek valley of the French Huguenots. Located in the village centre, this privately owned hotel and restaurant is an exquisite stopping place on the wine trail and the trace of the history of the Huguenot settlers, between Mont Rochelle, Haute Provence, Moreson. Impeccable decoration and service. Eclectic cuisine by Margot Janse and regional wine, of course! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets and Priceline so you can book your Le Quartier Francais reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Quartier Francais Franschhoek
- Le Quartier Francais Hotel Franschhoek