“slightly disappointing”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
Dorset, UK
“slightly disappointing”
Reviewed February 4, 2008

We stayed here for two nights because we wanted to round off our trip to South Africa in a memorable way.

We pre-booked a table on the first night in the 'Tasting Room' and for us, this restaurant lived up to all our expectations. The food was exceptional and service was good.

However, the hotel itself was a little disappointing and it is difficult to pinpoint exactly why. The staff on reception were incredibly helpful and were more than happy to help in any way they could. They also offer a complimentary car to take you to other places if you wish dine out in the village or valley (although they don't seem to publicise this - we only found out because we asked them to book us a taxi).

The pool area was nice, although small. and you could have treatments by the pool if you wished.

The rooms were reasonably spacious and well equipped although they don't provide either a mini bar or coffee/tea making facilities. I suppose I was expecting the room to be exceptionally good and in this I was a little disappointed - certainly would not say that it was any better than some of the other (much cheaper) rooms we stayed in.

Breakfast was ok but nothing special - ironically (given the hotel's reputation for food) my 'soft boiled eggs' were hard!.

Clearly, the restaurant is the main focus for 'le Quartier Francais' and I felt that the hotel part is a bit of an afterthought. In particular, there are no resident lounges in which to sit and read or have a drink (there is a bar area but this is open to the public).

Overall whilst the staff do a very good job I didn't come away feeling pampered. We hope to return to Franschoek in the future but I think that whilst I would certainly book a table in the restaurant I would choose to stay somewhere else.

• Liked — helpful staff
  • Disliked — lack of resident's lounge areas
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JB37

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Windsor and Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2008

I'd heard big things about this place and while I was mostly satisfied I think it had been bigged up a little too much.

It's a great location off Franschoek "high street" and yet it's so quiet.
The spa was fully booked which is great if you think of booking ahead, but when you're organising a whole trip to SA you don't really think of that as an essential job .. so disappointingly we couldn't make use of the relaxation therapies on offer.

We ate in the Tasting room and had a lovely evening. The food didn't blow me away, I personally found it too fussy at times.

It's a lovely place but I came away a little disappointed .. I think it's because of the expectations I'd had which it didn't quite meet.

• Liked — that it was like a peaceful retreat among the bustling franschoek
  • Disliked — that it didn't quite meet the expectations
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed January 10, 2008

My husband and I chose to spend two nights at le Quartier on our 3-week honeymoon in southern Africa. We are used to high end accommodations, and expected a high level of service and surroundings at le Quartier. We were very disappointed for the following reasons:

Poor service: When we were leaving, we walked past four employees, and no one offered to help us with our bags. We also booked reservations at the Tasting Room for one evening during our stay, and the front desk staff told us that we were incorrect, even though I presented an email confirmation from their staff.

Room: We had a luxury room, but there was really nothing special about it. It was large enought to fit a bed, tv, and round table. Because of the villa style setup of the rooms, we could hear our neighbors walking to and from the lobby and the pool. One neighbor chatted on his cellphone outside of our room in the early hours of the morning and we lost sleep over it.

Property: This is a very small property compared to what we expected from seeing pictures and the website. The pool is small and has maybe a dozen chairs surrounded it. There is no "view" of anything other than the pool or the back of the restaurants. There is no lounge area other than the pool to sit and relax.

Breakfast: The breakfast was a poor continental display with only limited hot items.

Although the location was a great base for wine tasting in the area, the service, room, and overall experience did not meet our high expectations.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vino12
London, UK
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Stayed 2 nights. Location good (off Franschhoek's central street). Large rooms are arranged villa style around an attractive central pool/garden area. No common lounge areas and only small bar. Two restaurants, one "Tasting" (for those who like that kind of thing) and one very average "regular" restaurant. Breakfast distinctly second rate. Staff eventually accomodating, but all requests seemed like hard work. Not particularly good value for money.

Stayed December 2007
London, UK
Reviewed January 2, 2008

I am writing this review as I sit at Le Quartier Francais and after having spent the day touring the winelands. The hotel is in the center of Franshoek and boasts an incredible restaurant, but that is about it.
Let me start with the positives: dinner. The tasting room is great and offers amazing value (a dinner for two cost just over 100 pounds with wine at one of the top places in the world). However when i say the resturaunt is great, it is the food that makes it wonderful. The setting is a plain room with no view, so in terms of atmosphere has nothing compared to the other resturaunts in franshoek with sweeping views of the winelands. However the food is truly memorable and very good value.

The hotel itself is nothing special - average rooms, especially considering you are paying over 300 pounds (600 usd) a night. They are big but the decor is fairly old and nothing special - in fact i think very non descript and could be found in a 3 star hotel. But my biggest gripe is coming to the winelands i was expecting to come to a sweeping estate with majestic views over the vineyards and stunning mountains the region posseses. Perhaps i was misguided as this hotel is in town - but the hotel is very much like the restaurant - you could be anywhere in the world. it's small and nothing special - and to make matters worse i had a do not disturb sign on my door and housekeeping still knocked to wake me up at 10am. another word of note: they told me i didnt need to book places for lunch (i booked the dinners 2 months in advance given how popular places are here, and it was good i did as everything was sold out. i went to book the places i wanted to go for lunch and when i asked reception, they called and they were all full - when i showed my frustration they just shrugged.

We went for lunch at Mount Rochelle (formerly La Couronne but it burned down) and here you have exactly what i described above - a beautiful view and beautiful decor in the middle of winelands and horse pastures - so picturesque. this is what south african winelands are all about and this is why i came to the region - if i were to come again, which i hope oneday i will to this most beautiful region of the world, i would stay at one of these vineyard estates and only dine at le quartier francais.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank MissLondon
Kent, UK
Reviewed December 24, 2007

Superb food and service, lovely location and plenty to do in the area. The gourmet tasting menu was incredible and we also had an excellent meal across the street at Reubens. We were made to feel very welcome and highly recommend the hotel for those enjoying fine food, wine and relaxation!

• Liked — room layout, food and wine
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2007

What can I say, a first-rate hotel. Well not really a hotel as you have a private 'house' round a central pool area. The gardens are fantastic.

Our suite was massive, big lounge with complimentary decanters of gin, port, whiskey and rum and a free min-bar, which wasn't so mini. Huge bedroom that led on to a private outside garden with a plunge pool.

Two places to eat 'Ici' and the 'Tasting Room'. Ici is the relaxed area where breaffast is served and you can get a good three course meal (lunch and dinner). The Tasting Room is for fine dining (rated as the 47th best restaurant in the world in 2007 by Restaurant Magazine, and the best in Africa) where you can try an eight-course tasting menu with a different glass of wine for each course. Alternatively you can go a-la-carte for four or six courses.

One of the highlights of our honeymoon in South Africa.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple