“Nice, but quite a con”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We were given vouchers for free coffee at the Pancake House when we reported to collect tickets for the Franschoek Wine Tram. We had 20 minutes to spare, so went along and ordered coffee. A persuasive waiter (Gideon, perhaps?) got us to order ONE pancake to share (ostensibly so we could taste his fare). It was delicious, but when we got the bill for R88 (remember the coffee was free) it left a very bad taste. We won't be ripped off again -

7  Thank Ethnee H
There are newer reviews for Gideon's The Famous Franschhoek Pancake House

Reviewed January 10, 2014

When I visited Gideon's FFPH, I was recently diagnosed with late onset Celiac disease. Gideon and his staff went out of their way to run to the shop to pick up gluten-free flour, of which they had run out, so that I also could eat. I really appreciated. Really, I had expected to have coffee while my family enjoyed pancakes. So, I was more than pleasantly surprised! The food was delicious!!! I ended up having the lamb pancake. Also, when Gideon has the time, he is lovely company.

As far as the complaints for pricing goes: yes, this is likely priced more to tourist levels, but just about any take-away restaurant in neighboring Stellenbosch will charge you the same for food that is of the same culinary quality. This is a restaurant nurtured with love and nestled in beautiful Franschoek. Be expected to pay for this.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Even though the pancakes are delicious and sort of OK ambiance, the price for pancakes and drinks is beyond absurd. A milkshake at R40 and upwards. A complete, unjustifiable rip-off. One place that will not see me again in franschhoek.

5  Thank Johan B
Reviewed January 6, 2014

While the pancakes are delicious, R80 for a single savoury pancake and R25 for a can of Appletiser is beyond absurd. A complete, unjustifiable rip-off.

3  Thank cvdSA
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Great setting and the menu titles looks amazing but the portions are ridicoulously small. R45 for half a pancake is crazy.

Wont be back.