“Not busy but freindly attentive service with food to match.”

Franschhoek Kitchen
Ranked #24 of 80 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Franschhoek, one of the culinary hot spots on the African continent. Our estate restaurant - Franschhoek Kitchen, is rated one of the valley's leading restaurants. Franschhoek Kitchen's standards are based on the best international cuisine but our heart lies in the simplicity and pureness of each and every ingredient. High dining is for others, we prefer to see our guests enjoy a home-made dish, inspired by the country we live in and the farm we work on. Our vineyard is heavily influenced by the seasons, so are we, so is our food - nature at its best, brought onto your plate - either in the dining room, amidst the vines outdoors, or in form of a picnic along the Franschhoek river - always with a glass of award winning wine from our estate. Are you going to be taking a adventure on Franschhoek's super popular WINE TRAM? Make sure to stop at Holden Manz and enjoy a light meal downstairs to fill the gap or our delicious a la carte menu upstairs on the deck overlooking the majestic mountains of Franschhoek - a must do!
Reviewed December 19, 2013

This restaurant is out of the busy part of Franschoek and the night we attended it was quiet. The staff were friendly and attentive. Food was good and use of quality basics came through.

1  Thank Adam C
There are newer reviews for Franschhoek Kitchen

Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Wayne collected us from our guest house in his Audi, treated us to a wine tasting before seating us for dinner. Best meal we've had in Franschhoek. Views were incredible, wine delicious and food stunning! Well fine to the whole team - we'll definitely be back! Highly recommended. Ask for the free shuttle, go early to see the sunset & do a proper tasting.

1  Thank astridave
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I was a littleeee disappointed with this restaurant for dinner since I had high expectations being that it's #1 on TripAdvisor!

First, all the food was good--some of it great (I loved the duck appetizer--huge and satisfying on a bed of greens!). There was nothing very bad about anything... it just wasn't "wow," which is what I have come to expect from such highly rated TA places!

Let's see, what did we have: duck (wow-worthy), mushroom soup, trout (meh), filet mignon (they really should do a rib-eye instead of a mignon; but then, i pretty much prefer any other cut to the filet mignon!), and some dessert that was so unmemorable, I don't even remember!

The problem with the food wasn't that anything was bad (although my filet was definitely overcooked for medium rare), it's that nothing is really all that memorable. I have definitely had better fish (didn't care too much for the trout, sorry!), better steaks, better mushroom soup, and while the duck app was yummmmmy, I have also had better duck. Nothing was especially inspired or original I thought.

I don't know--perhaps I'm just a foodie snob... but yeah. I don't think I will remember this meal in two weeks. Barely remembered it now to write this review!

Overall, a fine meal on a pricey side for this part of the world (my $$$ is relative; the whole meal wasn't really that bad for US city standards), but nothing I would write home about.

(I would say though, going to Babylonstoren's Greenhouse for lunch is DEFINITELY a memorable experience! I loved, loved the salad with all the fresh farm-to-table ingredients and the smoked chicken was heavenly along with the freshly pressed juices in the outdoor setting. Peaceful and awesome.)

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We had a good meal, mushroom soup and tuna for starters, followed by fillet steak (rather too large but cooked exactly as requested, a bit more sauce would have been nice) and the pork belly. Good Holden Manz wine to accompany the food. Happy to see a nice selection of vegetables on the plate, as many of the Franschhoek restaurants seem to think that we are total carnivores!

Good friendly service.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

My wife and myself went out for dinner on a Thursday night. Had two starters fish and gazpacho. The fish was marvelous the gazpacho nothing real special of taste and personally a little too spicy for my wife. We've had fish for main (trout and tuna). The rainbow trout was cooked to perfection and very tasty. Even the presentation was greet. However the tuna was served as one big piece, stiff not having a smooth texture....more of that kind if you de-freeze fish and it gets a little dried out...herbs and spices were ok. Hence, very dependent on what you order. And of course we compare to high standards as it is rated no. 1 in town. Therefore it was also very sad with more then 5 fish dishes on the list only one white (Chardonnay) is on the wine list. On that day, it wasn't too busy, hence atmosphere was ok. Staff was very friendly all the time!