“What a delightful experience”
Review of The Grillroom - CLOSED

The Grillroom
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Lancaster UK
“What a delightful experience”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

With only two nights in the Winelands it was a difficult choice to make as to where to eat but what a find! The ambience, staff, food and the restaurant itself were top notch. Primarily making a 'connection' with the staff of course helps and "Sibongile" was an exceptional host/server.
The restaurant supplies meat to customers for their own consumption in addition to the restaurant meals and the quality is superb. Fillet steaks (200G/250G) priced at 115/135 Rand were good value with wine (by the glass) at 30/35 R (white) and 40/45 R (red) also helped the digestion! Choosing Kingclip (widespread fish choice n SA) was brilliant and was equal in value and taste to the steak.
Dominic, (the 'boss' I think) was also friendly, amenable and welcoming and added to the whole genre. I did think it strange that although drinks such as spirits (e.g. whisky) were visible and available from the bar, these were not advertised on any menu and had to be requested individually.
The staff all seemed to 'hit it off' together and were happy for me to photograph them 'in preparation' for an evening's service (photo attached).
I do not think we were the only ones to find this treasure and enjoy an evening there!
I hope your own experience will live up to ours?

• Visited April 2012

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't really know how to rate it... Average i guess...”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I've just moved to Franschhoek 2 months ago from Cape town and I've started a travel desk in a Hotel... I decided one afternoon to take my wife and son for a lunch in the village and we stopped at the Grillroom for a good steak which carnivore in me have been craving for for a few months now... anyway... in I walk, its very quiet except for 1 table of two who is just finishing off their bill and leaving... I introduce myself to the hostess and mention i'm from the hotel... Hint Hint... My son immediately runs to the play room, fantastic and I run after him, then my wife and we take turns... eventually the staff took over so we could enjoy our time... which was great... well we were the only ones there... The waitress listened but did not hear... as I had to repeat myself a few times to her. I had the Tbone (R115)and my wife the lambchops,(R135)... Great presentation but poor on the texture and taste etc etc... My wife urged me not to complain as we were having a good laugh and we just gobbled the food up, paid R420 + R80 tip and left... Thanx Grillroom... Nah, I won't be calling you as a first reccommendation... only on request... Oh, they had a special on warthog shank, i thought, awesome... fantastic... I asked to see the shank before i ordered it... My gosh, it was the size of a chicken leg.... never mind...

• Visited May 2012
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Best steak in a long time”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I went there with my wife on a Saturday evening, without a reservation. Luckily the restaurant is quite big so they could accomodate us.
The menu is extensive, but they obviously specialise in steak so that's what I had while my wife had a beef curry. Both were excellent and a notch above other steak houses.
for Franschhoek, i found prices surprisingly low.

go if you want:
excellent service, very friendly staff
simple food, very well prepared.

don't go if:
you're looking for haute cuisine and 7 course dining

• Visited April 2012
Durban
“Good valide for money”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Good menu, lost of choices. Very good tender meat with great sauces. friendly staff and good atmosphere. Sitting outside is lovely too even when it is not so warm as it is covered.

• Visited March 2012
Woodbury Salterton, United Kingdom
“Good Service”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We had a reasonable meal here and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Visited March 2012