“Wonderful Restaurant and Great Service”

Pierneef a La Motte
Ranked #4 of 81 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: African
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The name of the restaurant was inspired by La Motte's admiration of South African artist Jacob Hendrik Pierneef (1886 - 1957). Pierneef's creativity in portraying the beauty of the South African landscape is echoed in the restaurant's offering of traditional cuisine with a modern interpretation. The restaurant interior blends beautifully with the external surroundings - a fresh, natural look inside is embraced by tranquil gardens and majestic oak trees - where a Winelands Tea with a selection of home-baked delights from the La Motte Farm Shop can be enjoyed. The exclusively arranged Pierneef a La Motte Chef's Table offers a fine-dine menu in line with guests' preferences, as pre-arranged with Chef Michelle Theron, as well as a harmoniously complementing wine selection
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We enjoyed our dinner at La Motte! Its a stylish venue with breath taking views! My husband had the chef's menu paired with wine, and I ordered a la carte. All of the food was presented beautifully and tasted amazing. Joy was our waitress and she was friendly and professional. Alande was the manager on duty and she made the an awesome experience super awesome! She explained each dish as they were presented with the pairing wines. We even asked her for tourist advice around the town and she presented us with a map and answered all of our questions! We enjoyed the meal so much and we highly recommend visiting La Motte. You won't regret it!

Hetta V, culinary manager at Pierneef a La Motte, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you for visiting Pierneef a La Motte and sharing your experience. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Pierneef a la motte is a top notch restaurant with creative food,beautiful surroundings and good value for money

Thank you for visiting Pierneef a La Motte and posting a review.
We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We enjoyed an evening meal at Pierneef (booking required) having enjoyed a wine tasting at La Motte the previous week. The restaurant is very stylishly designed. We all enjoyed our food, all had the lamb as a main - perhaps a different serving dish and more pzazz with the display of the actual food would have been nice. My husband who has arthritis found it difficult to eat from the rectangular dish. We shared a very delicious chocolate pudding. Wines delicious. The whole package of the meal and stylish decor gives this restaurant 5* for me.

Hetta V, Manager at Pierneef a La Motte, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you for visiting Pierneef a La Motte and for sharing your experience, giving us valuable feed-back about the practicality of serving dishes - I have discussed it with our kitchen. We are looking into the problem.
We hope to see you back at La Motte soon.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I enjoyed the setting and decor at Pierneef a la Motte. Staff were helpful and attentive but the mains we ordered for lunch did not wow, especially at the price charged.

Main portions may as well have been starters they were so small and my food was already cold by the time I was eating it.

Hetta V, culinary manager at Pierneef a La Motte, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Thank you for sending your feed-back and please accept my apologies for the dissapointment. I will discuss it further with the kitchen as cold food is definately not acceptable. I hope that you will visit us again.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Based on prior reviews we decided to book here for our last night in Franschhoek.
Fantastic architecture and decor. We were expecting great things but were so disappointed with the food. Starters were ok but lacking in flavour. Then the main course arrived. I had a lamb dish. I had been advised that it would be a lamb shank. Reality was slices of bone ( I think neck) drowning in a dark tasteless sauce with small pieces of meat and also bone. This was served in a deep dark oven dish with pasta at the base. I was sitting thinking I could not eat it when the inevitable 'is everything OK' question was asked. . . .
I could not even consider finishing my meal so we paid for our starters and wine and left.
Disappointing is too small a word.

2  Thank Teaeee

Thank you for telling us about your experience. Please accept our apologies for your dissapointment. I will use your constructive feed-back to discuss with the kitchen and will make work of it immediately. I hope to invite you back to experience our wonderful food.