“Outstanding Wine Estate”

Pierneef a La Motte
Ranked #7 of 84 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: African
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The name of the restaurant was inspired by La Motte's admiration of South African artist Jacob Hendrik Pierneef (1886 - 1957). Pierneef's creativity in portraying the beauty of the South African landscape is echoed in the restaurant's offering of traditional cuisine with a modern interpretation. The restaurant interior blends beautifully with the external surroundings - a fresh, natural look inside is embraced by tranquil gardens and majestic oak trees - where a Winelands Tea with a selection of home-baked delights from the La Motte Farm Shop can be enjoyed. The exclusively arranged Pierneef a La Motte Chef's Table offers a fine-dine menu in line with guests' preferences, as pre-arranged with Chef Michelle Theron, as well as a harmoniously complementing wine selection
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We visited La Motte with a group of tourists for lunch and to view the Pierneef Museum. What a wonderful experience! The restaurant ambiance upmarket and cuisine top class. In future we will look no further when visiting the Franschhoek area. The Pierneef Museum is, well, breathtaking. Never seen something likewise. Adjacent to the museum also an exhibition of Turkish and other eastern handwoven rugs on display. This is a treat!!

Hetta V, culinary manager at Pierneef a La Motte, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for visiting Pierneef @ La Motte and giving us an outstanding rating. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Most definitely one of the best restaurant experiences I've ever had. Been back twice! The food is utterly delicious, the ambience upmarket, yet comfortable. Not a hint of pretension, which is just the way I like it.
Although the main courses are rather large, this suits me fine as I'm a true piggy. This just encourages you to eat at leisure, no rush, with a large glass of fabulous La Motte wine to accompany your meal. I especially enjoy the fact that the menu has wine recommendations printed along side the various dishes. Makes your life a lot easier. They're not shy with the amount of wine they pour either! Another great plus point.
The service is very good and the servers, most being local, are knowledgeable and friendly.
Pierneef a la Motte is great for both cosy winter lunches with delicious food and buckets of red wine, or light dinners in summertime under the oak trees with a yummy chardonnay and good company.
A must for both tourists and locals! Better to book, especially in the busy tourist season.

Thank you for visiting Pierneef @ La Motte and a huge thank you for giving us the thumbs up with such a great rating.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Out of all the Places to eat in and around Franschhoek I chose this wonderful place and I am so glad I did. The food was superb, the service excellent and the setting was wonderful. When I booked I was asked if it was my birthday and although it wasn't on the day but it was a couple of days later and as an extra they gave me a plate of exquisite chocolates and brownies. As a vegetarian, I was happy with the choices.
A bonus is that the kitchen is open so you can watch the skilled and talented team of chefs preparing and plating up the food. There is such attention to detail. The friends I was with enjoyed some of the La Motte wine too.
Later we returned for a concert given by a young musician, Abraham Mennen playing the saxophone.

Thank you for visiting Pierneef @ La Motte and giving us such a great rating.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We and friends had a lovely dinner at Pierneefs last night.The setting is fantastic between the vineyards.The ambiance is great and the service is outstanding.The menu is good and the food is very well presented and very tasty.The wines from Lamotte is good quality and well priced.Excellent value for money

Thank you for visiting Pierneef @ La Motte and for giving us such wonderful feed-back.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Lunch at Pierneef a la Motte is always special in my opinion. Haved dined here a few times and have always had great meals. The menu is rather carnivorous but I always manage to find a vegetarian option! We ordered a garden salad (large) to share. It was a herb salad with nuts and roast vegetables. It was tasty but was 80% lettuce leaves and not much of anything else. This is where the disappointment ended! I ordered a caramelised baby onion, apple and sage tarte. It was absolutely delicious! Beautifully textured tart with a hint of sage. I ordered a side of roast vegetables which complimented the tart perfectly. My husband ordered the preserved lemon and rosemary braised Karoo lamb shank, he said it was very tasty and tender. Our meal was complimented with La Motte wine. Our waitress was attentive, friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu. Chris Erasmus is an incredible chef with such interesting menu choices. I always pop into the farm shop on leaving, to stock up on some delicious cakes.....