“Pretentious ..moi ?”

Ranked #18 of 80 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Monneaux Restaurant ranks among South Africa's top restaurants, and serves an inspired contemporary take on the classics. Lunch is enjoyed on the fountain terrace under a spreading pepper tree while dinner is enjoyed in the elegant but relaxed dining room in the original manor house. Set on the original site of Franschhoek's first parfumerie, today its the heavenly scent of chef Adrian Buchanans cooking that inspires at the Monneaux Restaurant, a Cape culinary classic. Even by the food & wine capital of the country's high standards, Monneaux is an extra-ordinary success, having been in the country's Top 100 list for six years consecutively, on the Top 10 list for two years and winning the American Express Platinum Award for fine dining. The underground cellar is available for private functions where dinner can be enjoyed by an impressive selection of local and foreign wines. The restaurant's bar lounge provide a comfortable environment to relax and enjoy the company you're with. The wine list emphasizes the boutique wines of the Franschhoek Valley as well as an impressive selection of other award winning wines of South Africa
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Booked in at the last minute on valentines day for dinner as one of the few restaurants locally able to take us,set alarm bells ringing right from the start. I struggled to find anything on the menu that I really fancied ,most of the dishes being a strange conglomeration of flavours and fusion styles. South African produce can speak for itself and doesn't need to be messed around in the over ambitious ways of this pretentious restaurant .

There are newer reviews for Monneaux Restaurant

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I went for valentines dinner, the waitress was very attentive and bubbly and the service was excellent, however the food didn't live up to our expectations. The oysters were too salty, the lamb was tough, and the panne cotta had way too much gelatin in it, ruining the texture. Maybe it was because it was a set menu and everything was prepared before the time, our courses did arrive very quickly. I would go back though, because I do see potential, and I did enjoy the ambiance and the staff.

1  Thank Claire A
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We (my wife and I) last visited Monneaux in early 2012 and had some wonderful meals. Two years on, we stayed at the Franschhoek Country House for 6 nights, eating in Monneaux for 4 of those nights. I am happy to report that our dining experiences were at least the equal of those of 2 years earlier. Beautifully presented, tasty food on alll 4 occasions. Excellent, attentive service from Diana, Kuti, Carmen and Allison and good local wines. Oh how I wish I were back there now!

Well done, chefs Louis and Emil. Keep up the good work! We'll be back, I am sure.

ps We ate 'out' in Franschhoek town on a couple of occasions. The 2 restaurants we ate in weren't in the same league.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We had a fabulous dinner here, the food is excellent quality, presented beautifully with such care and attention. A trip here for dinner is a must when in Franschhoek

Reviewed January 20, 2014

There were three choices the usual a la carte, the tasting menu or the tasting menu with wine - we went with the last option and it enabled us to try a range of foods. The wines were excellent and the food was good, the chef came out to ask how customers felt - how nice.
We did enjoy this meal and the staff were lovely.