“Lunch special”
Review of Ryan's Kitchen - CLOSED

Ryan's Kitchen
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Description: Contemporary South African cooking, small plate concept,excitement and open interactive kitchen located on the main road at the entrance to the village.
Reviewed April 17, 2018

Great spot and very central; the waiters seem a bit aloof and the to be honest the electic mix of South African food and fine dining leave you a bit confused. Wine prices also seem to reflect that of a fancy restaurant so it can be expensive. The chocolate soufflé though was great

Reviewed April 14, 2018

Whilst I love the contemporary feel of the restaurant the food is underwhelming; it’s not that it’s bad by any means. Rather that it seems outdated. The setting is lovely and the waiting stuff seem a bit lost

Reviewed April 7, 2018

Booked Ryan's Kitchen over a month in advance based on TripAdvisor reviews and was greatly anticipating the experience. We only had one free dinner night available in Fransschoek so I tried to choose carefully.

Both the service and food greatly disappointed. The waitress took our order and dropped off the food AND NEVER SAW HER AGAIN! Yet she seemed to be providing other tables better service. (To be fair, the manager did check on us twice). The steak was very tough and could not be finished.

The most disppointing dinner of our 15 days in South Africa. I regret not choosing another of so many fine restaurants in Fransschoek.

1  Thank MAreviewer
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We had a lovely time though we were unfortunate to go whilst fransschoek was experiencing a rare power shortage so it was mostly by candlelight. I was not too impressed with the wine pairing of the 7 course tasting menu as they seemed things that I had already been oferred in a variety of other establishments and the dishes were either very good or slightly over the top. Can be an exciting experience though, give it a shot !

Reviewed April 3, 2018

We had booked Ryan's Kitchen on the recommendation of friends who eat there 2-3 times a year when in town. We arrived with great expectation and left bitterly disappointed and annoyed....

We were shown to a table right next to the door and waiter's station so that every time the door opened we got a cold breeze on us. My husband's chair was bumped into every time someone walked past him and our waitress had a serious attitude.

I had alerted the restaurant at the time of booking and upon confirming that I had a food allergy, however they were not aware of this when we were seated, and also made no effort to provide a dairy free canape or even oil for the bread. The waitress checked with the kitchen whether they could make my main course without milk, and luckily for me they could. Phew!

Starters were bad...I had the sashimi with pressed apple. It was drowning in unpleasant tasting dressing meaning you couldn't taste the fish at all. The addition of pressed apple made the texture strange - basically not worth the addition of yellowtail at all. My husband ordered the beetroot salad and was astonished to find a whole core of lettuce on the plate, and only two or three slivers of beetroot. Very strange, and not helping our general feeling on the place. With hindsight I wish we had just cut our losses and left after the starters.

The wine waiter was charming, but I found it strange that he did not pour a taster of wine before filling the glass?

Main courses were better, but not great. My husband's sirloin was pleasant, but over cooked, my veggie main was nice, but nothing special.

We decided (a course too late!) that we didn't want to put up with any more bad service, or average food so didn't have dessert and left as soon as we could.

The whole experience was just really strange and as one of the more expensive meals we'd had in South Africa, I wish we'd booked one of the other fabulous eateries in the town. I'm not sure if this was just an off day, but we will not be returning :o(

1  Thank jemimapuddleduck612