“Stunning!”

Ryan's Kitchen
Ranked #3 of 83 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Description: Contemporary South African cooking, small plate concept,excitement and open interactive kitchen located on the main road at the entrance to the village.
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed the Table d'Hote with wine pairing which was one of the best meals we have ever had. The minced lamb roti in particular was incredible. The meal was visually spectacular, full of interesting combinations of ingredients, textures and tastes and was accompanied by wines we would not necessarily have chosen but complimented the food perfectly. Ryan's compete focus on his cooking does mean that even though you are in his 'kitchen' he seems a little distanced during dinner however as service ended, we saw him relax and as we were the last to leave, stopped for a chat about the area and life in the wine country.Value for money was exceptional. Ryans restaurant manager and a sous-chef were not there on the evening we visited - great job with half staff!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

My meal at Ryan's Kitchen was the best meal I have ever had in my life! Amazing skill, creativity and presentation by the chefs.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Had a delicious dinner here. Had the four course chef's tasting menu. Food was delicious, elaborately and thoughtfully prepared and presented. Small, intimate restaurant with open kitchen, so you can see the chef and cooks preparing the meal. Chef was accommodating of my vegetarian friends who also had a four course tasting menu. Price was very reasonable given the quality of the food and service (in fact, a great value). I would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Lovely venue, cosy and well-appointed. Friendly and efficient service. Open plan kitchen - with rather dour inhabitants. Reasonable wine list. Delicious amuse-bouche ... and then maybe my expectations were too great. After a rather average lunch at a supposedly fine-dining restaurant, I wanted a really special culinary memory of my weekend in Franschhoek. The amuse-bouche promised great things. My friend ordered the line fish, which I tasted and thought delicious. The cauliflower sauce was rather salty but she enthused over the cauliflower fritters (to me looked like small tempura'ed cauliflower florets). I ordered the Blesbok loin. Nice but not exciting, seemed to miss a depth of flavour. Nice, crisp palate cleanser. Dessert was variations on a pureed theme and did not excite either of us. Would I repeat the experience? Probably not. I'd rather spend my money at the Foodbarn in Noordhoek, where I'm always guaranteed sensory-satisfaction.

1  Thank ChazS50
Reviewed August 25, 2013

One of the best places I'v ever eat in my life! The food is delicious and restaurant have an open kitchen where Ryan runs the show right in front of your eyes! I loved it!