“Good food, good setting, great social awareness”

Fyndraai restaurant at Solms-Delta
Ranked #50 of 83 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Fyndraai is an exciting restaurant with a local twist, on the Solms-Delta wine estate outside Franschhoek. The food, like its adventurous wines, lives up to the Solms-Delta claim of being proudly Hiervandaan (‘from this place’). You not only walk into history in the 325-year-old wine farm restaurant, you walk OVER it. The glass floor covers the archaeological substructure of a 1740 wine cellar.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We enjoyed a good lunch on the restaurant's patio. The food and service was good. What is remarkable about this wine estate, and worth supporting, is that they have chosen to empower the workers on the estate (the workers share part of the land and sell their wine) and to encourage cultural community enterprises - such as a community choir. When we were there someone from the estate gave a talk to a group of foreign visitors. Lunch only.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were supposed to have a picnic but there was a mix up with my vegetarian basket and we ended up eating on the own of the restaurant at a table instead. It was very enjoyable.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I invited friends for a picnic at Solms-Delta and it was a most memorable autumn afternoon which I will gladly return to. We started with a wine tasting and us ladies especially loved the Jazz Shiraz which we promptly bought a few bottles of and enjoyed one with our picnic. Baskets were loaded onto a tractor and we were whisked off to the picnic spot next to a river stream where the kids cooled off and we kept the wine cold. The setting is simply glorious and the food was delicious. Dessert was not great though, as I dont think fruit salad is the best option to serve for a picnic...it became a little warm & soggy. Personally I would prefer the food to be served in something other than white styrofoam just because it doesnt look pretty (reminds me more of fish & chips takeway), but it serves its purpose and the plastic drinking glasses have seen better days. Also, the blankets provided are really small, so I will bring my own next time. This would not deter me from having another picnic at Solms-Delta though and I'll bring another few friends along again when spring arrives.

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Fyndraai restaurant is a lovely restaurant with a massive patio and brilliant views but sadly everything else about this establishment is average. The service is I not attentive and slow , the food is average and the wine list limited. All and all not a return destination.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We've been raving about Solms-Delta, Musem van de Caab and Fyndraai for several years now. A few weeks ago we took friends from the UK for lunch, and they were very impressed by the wine tasting (one fell in love with the Gemoedsrus fortified shiraz and another with the Africana shiraz - a real stonker of a wine), the musem, and the vibe. There is a real sense of 'rootedness' at Fyndraai as evidenced by the wall commemorating every slave that has worked on the farm, and the glass floor showing off the foundations of the old farm house in which the restaurant is situated. Hence 'Hiervandaan', another lovely wine.

Lunch itself has never disappointed. My wife and I have always enjoyed the use of local herbs and shrubs like 'Boegoe' and fynbos in the cooking. And it's always exquisitely presented, with attentive service. We look forward to visiting again, this time for a picnic in the picturesque grounds. With a glass of Cape Jazz Shiraz: a real lekker lunch bubbly with a little touch of body. Til next time...

2  Thank Matthew G