“Pleasant surprise”

Dutch East Restaurant
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Dutch East cuisine is a unique combination of uncomplicated bistro fare with healthy portions perfectly presented. Our menu blends modern steakhouse classics with a contemporary bistro style. We take inspiration from Cape Malay, eastern and traditional south African flavours
Reviewed September 25, 2012

It was pouring down when we came to Franschhoek so we took the restaurant closest to the spot where we have parked. That was a good choice. From the moment we approached the door until we left it was great service with a good sense of humour. Furthermore the food was good, the coffee was good, so all in all a very good lunch spot.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

This was an unexpected gem! The food was fantastic and the whole experince left you with a sence of being part of the local culture. We would recommend the hamburgers, truly someting special but I believe you will not go wrong with whatever you choose. You can expect great service

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We were walking up on the main street of Franschhoek looking for a lunch time restaurant and decided to give Dutch East a try and it was a great choice, the service is excellent and the food did not disappoint. I had the burger (The Dutch) and my wife tried the fish (grilled Kingklip). I would definitely be back to try the rib eye.

1  Thank ivanmare
Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

My husband had a mature aged rib eye steak which he said is the best he's ever had & cooked to perfection. I had the venison (gemsbok) loin also cooked to perfection.
Service was ok.
Good value for money.
They have quite a range of coffees which I would like to try.
Overall: Would recommend.

1  Thank impcat
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I initially popped in for a take-away coffee. Once inside I was taken by the what is nothing short of a coffee buffet, and so decisions need to be made, I decided not to decide, and just kept going back week after week to try a different coffee. The child in me was fascinated by the giant "locomotive" which is actually a coffee roaster sitting in the corner. It is exactly what I want from a coffee shop, fresh beans good barista's and the option to take some home. At some point I snuck a peak at the menu, and made a note to return. The food is very exciting and great value for money. You really do need to have a healthy appetite to fully enjoy this place. What the staff lack in classic service skills they make up for in friendliness and confidence. A great place for entertaining large parties with children.