“Awful -- wedding was ruined”
Review of La Petite Dauphine

La Petite Dauphine
London
“Awful -- wedding was ruined”
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I wished I'd read the review "Beautiful setting, but ruined our wedding night" before we chose La Petite Dauphine for our wedding. We had a bad experience, and our wedding memories are all but ruined. They like to point to "prices subject to change" and then present a bill bigger than was quoted. I would definitely not recommend this place if you have a special event you wish to cherish. I agree, they made absolutely no effort to make us, the wedding couple, feel special in our room after the wedding -- I was surprised. For the hefty bill we were presented with, you'd think some flowers and a bottle of champers in the room would've been a nice touch. But nothing, we were treated like run of the mill guests, and not a couple who had filled their coffers substantially. When we look back at our wedding, all we remember is the horrible proprietor. They are lucky to have a beautiful setting and very good food, but be warned if you plan to have a wedding there, because it can leave you disappointed and sad. There are so many other places to choose in Franschoek. Don't make the mistake we made.

Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
10 Thank Pixie_Da

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
sydney
Reviewed February 7, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights and had a wonderful stay. The hotel is really beautiful, very reminiscent of France. The gardens are lovely and the grounds peaceful. I loved all the fruit trees, everything was green and healthy.
We had lunch the first day and I couldnt believe how delicious it was. My son had the pork belly which was the best we have ever had (my husband and I had to have a taste). All meals were superb and the price was so reasonable.
Breakfasts were worth getting up for and served with such grace.
The rooms were so comfortable and beautifully appointed.
Would not hesitate to return and recommend to my friends (already have!)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank franticsydney
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We stayed at La Petite Dauphine for 2 nights to enjoy Franschhoek.

It's a collection of farm houses, and vines are grown here (though it is not a winery as such, the grapes are apparently processed elsewhere...). Our suite was no.5, close to the road but noise really wasn't a problem at all, and it is particularly quiet at night - we had some great sleep!

The rooms are clean, big enough, and there's even a wood burner to use at night which makes it very cosy. Location-wise it is close enough to Franschoek (2 or 3 minute drive), and has stunning views of the mountains.

The breakfast served at Cafe Bon (also serves lunch which we would have tried had we have had another night there) was superb - I don't normally rush to eat cooked breakfasts, but the eggs benedict was one of the best examples I've had in the world.

This is definitely the right way to stay in Franschhoek and I could only recommend it - it would also be a great place to spend part of a honeymoon. I would have given it 5 stars if it was just a little cheaper (we were in high season so I suppose it is understandable), but the price was fair. The owners are also very helpful with suggestions of where to go in the area, and in booking restaurants etc. I would certainly consider returning here if we travel to Franschhoek again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Moscow
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We stayed at La Petite Dauphine for 2 nights. I spent the night before our wedding there with my sister and my husband and I stayed there after our wedding. The room was very spacious and the decor is very nice. The location is also amazing, but the stay as a whole was really disappointing because of the horrible service experience.

I had made it clear plenty of times that we were there for our wedding night and that I would we getting ready for the wedding on the Saturday, but that did not seem to register at all. While I was getting ready for the wedding on the Saturday, the staff showed up to clean the room. I asked them to come back as we were still getting ready for the wedding. I assumed that the room would be made up. When we got back to the room after the wedding, to our horror, the room was still in the disorganised state we left it in after going to the church and nothing had been cleaned. The result was that I had to tidy up as best I could. It was really very disappointing as I had expected to at least come back to a clean room! It really put a damper on our whole stay as I was not imaging cleaning my hotel room on my wedding night. The following morning we mentioned this to the woman who checked us out. She did not appear to be phased and did not really even apologise or offer us a discount.

I would therefore not recommend you use this hotel for your wedding night as they clearly do not have an inclination to make it special at all.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank epeiser
hertfordshire
Reviewed March 31, 2010

Stayed for three nights as our son was getting married here. It was the most beautiful place for a wedding, and we had a wonderful time with family and friends. The town is very picturesque and the setting is spectacular. Definitely an experience we will never forget. Can strongly recommend La Petite Dauphine and would love to return.

• Stayed February 2010
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2010

This was our first stop from Cape Town driving through the Winelands and the B&B was great. Friendly owners, happy staff, clean, reasonably sized pool, spacious grounds and a great breakfast with made to order eggs and meat, and choice of yogurts and fresh fruits. Internet signal was strongish, fairly speedy (for South Africa) and costs around R20 for one hour. Franschhoek itself is a quaint, if slightly unreal, village with plenty of good restaurants. It's a great base from which to drive to and explore Stellenbosch (organic market is worth a visit) and Paarl (Seidlberg and Fairview wineries). For diversion closer to Franschooek we took a chocolate making tour (45 minutes, so-so), and visited La Brasserie, a restaurant that offers jazz once a week in summers. Music was definitely not the Blue Note - more like your uncles getting together to play dixieland favourites. The owners also arranged for horseback riding at Solm Delta Winery. Opposite is a car museum which I really wanted to visit but its hours are short, so check before going. And at the end of each hot day, the pool at Dauphine was a refreshing break. Our suite was self-catering with two rooms and a living/cooking area which was a nice break from restaurants - we made steaks and pasta and drank our wine purchases. The "Pick N Pay" in the town has the best selection of groceries, even has orangina - couldn't find any gourmet stores. The Dauphine house wine available in room was pretty decent, and only R50. All told, a great stay, probably most relaxing of all the B&B's on this trip.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2010

My husband and I or South African but we are living in London and travelled to SA for our wedding anniversary. We stayed at La Petite Dauphine for just one night. We've stayed in a few places in Franschhoek over the years and this is our favourite. It is such a beautiful property, a lovely peaceful retreat just outside the village (so a nice escape from the hustle and bustle of tourists). There is a variety of vineyards, olive and fruit trees around the property which are well looked after and the cottages are of a very high standard. We requested room 2, although were given room 1 even though 2 was available...perhaps they thought they were giving us the better room as it had a direct view of the lake (room 2 has a side view and leads out onto one of the pools). We hardly saw another guest while we were there, apart from day visitors having breakfast or lunch at Cafe Bon Bon, and as it was quiet we were allowed a late check out so we took full advantage and lay by the pool until noon. We even got a discount on our bill!

The only negative I have to say is that there were a stack of beer cans and cigarette ends on our terrace, left there from the previous guests and this really annoyed me. There was also no pen in the room nor a mini bar price list and the ice hadn't been refilled, nor had the tissue box. Small things to notice, I'm just picky. Despite this, we would definitely recommend this place to our family and friends and hope to return ourselves one day.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple