“Relaxing retreat just outside the Franschhoek”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Petite Dauphine

La Petite Dauphine
London
“Relaxing retreat just outside the Franschhoek”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

We stayed at La Petite Dauphine for 2 nights to enjoy Franschhoek.

It's a collection of farm houses, and vines are grown here (though it is not a winery as such, the grapes are apparently processed elsewhere...). Our suite was no.5, close to the road but noise really wasn't a problem at all, and it is particularly quiet at night - we had some great sleep!

The rooms are clean, big enough, and there's even a wood burner to use at night which makes it very cosy. Location-wise it is close enough to Franschoek (2 or 3 minute drive), and has stunning views of the mountains.

The breakfast served at Cafe Bon (also serves lunch which we would have tried had we have had another night there) was superb - I don't normally rush to eat cooked breakfasts, but the eggs benedict was one of the best examples I've had in the world.

This is definitely the right way to stay in Franschhoek and I could only recommend it - it would also be a great place to spend part of a honeymoon. I would have given it 5 stars if it was just a little cheaper (we were in high season so I suppose it is understandable), but the price was fair. The owners are also very helpful with suggestions of where to go in the area, and in booking restaurants etc. I would certainly consider returning here if we travel to Franschhoek again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Moscow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

We stayed at La Petite Dauphine for 2 nights. I spent the night before our wedding there with my sister and my husband and I stayed there after our wedding. The room was very spacious and the decor is very nice. The location is also amazing, but the stay as a whole was really disappointing because of the horrible service experience.

I had made it clear plenty of times that we were there for our wedding night and that I would we getting ready for the wedding on the Saturday, but that did not seem to register at all. While I was getting ready for the wedding on the Saturday, the staff showed up to clean the room. I asked them to come back as we were still getting ready for the wedding. I assumed that the room would be made up. When we got back to the room after the wedding, to our horror, the room was still in the disorganised state we left it in after going to the church and nothing had been cleaned. The result was that I had to tidy up as best I could. It was really very disappointing as I had expected to at least come back to a clean room! It really put a damper on our whole stay as I was not imaging cleaning my hotel room on my wedding night. The following morning we mentioned this to the woman who checked us out. She did not appear to be phased and did not really even apologise or offer us a discount.

I would therefore not recommend you use this hotel for your wedding night as they clearly do not have an inclination to make it special at all.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank epeiser
hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

Stayed for three nights as our son was getting married here. It was the most beautiful place for a wedding, and we had a wonderful time with family and friends. The town is very picturesque and the setting is spectacular. Definitely an experience we will never forget. Can strongly recommend La Petite Dauphine and would love to return.

• Stayed February 2010
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2010

This was our first stop from Cape Town driving through the Winelands and the B&B was great. Friendly owners, happy staff, clean, reasonably sized pool, spacious grounds and a great breakfast with made to order eggs and meat, and choice of yogurts and fresh fruits. Internet signal was strongish, fairly speedy (for South Africa) and costs around R20 for one hour. Franschhoek itself is a quaint, if slightly unreal, village with plenty of good restaurants. It's a great base from which to drive to and explore Stellenbosch (organic market is worth a visit) and Paarl (Seidlberg and Fairview wineries). For diversion closer to Franschooek we took a chocolate making tour (45 minutes, so-so), and visited La Brasserie, a restaurant that offers jazz once a week in summers. Music was definitely not the Blue Note - more like your uncles getting together to play dixieland favourites. The owners also arranged for horseback riding at Solm Delta Winery. Opposite is a car museum which I really wanted to visit but its hours are short, so check before going. And at the end of each hot day, the pool at Dauphine was a refreshing break. Our suite was self-catering with two rooms and a living/cooking area which was a nice break from restaurants - we made steaks and pasta and drank our wine purchases. The "Pick N Pay" in the town has the best selection of groceries, even has orangina - couldn't find any gourmet stores. The Dauphine house wine available in room was pretty decent, and only R50. All told, a great stay, probably most relaxing of all the B&B's on this trip.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

My husband and I or South African but we are living in London and travelled to SA for our wedding anniversary. We stayed at La Petite Dauphine for just one night. We've stayed in a few places in Franschhoek over the years and this is our favourite. It is such a beautiful property, a lovely peaceful retreat just outside the village (so a nice escape from the hustle and bustle of tourists). There is a variety of vineyards, olive and fruit trees around the property which are well looked after and the cottages are of a very high standard. We requested room 2, although were given room 1 even though 2 was available...perhaps they thought they were giving us the better room as it had a direct view of the lake (room 2 has a side view and leads out onto one of the pools). We hardly saw another guest while we were there, apart from day visitors having breakfast or lunch at Cafe Bon Bon, and as it was quiet we were allowed a late check out so we took full advantage and lay by the pool until noon. We even got a discount on our bill!

The only negative I have to say is that there were a stack of beer cans and cigarette ends on our terrace, left there from the previous guests and this really annoyed me. There was also no pen in the room nor a mini bar price list and the ice hadn't been refilled, nor had the tissue box. Small things to notice, I'm just picky. Despite this, we would definitely recommend this place to our family and friends and hope to return ourselves one day.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2009

My boyfriend & I planned to spend a night in Franschoek, we looked at a few places but agreed on La Petite Dauphine. I'm extremely fussy and I have to say that this guest farm exceeded my expectations! It's even more beautiful than it appears on the website. The rooms are lovely, clean and spacious. We stayed in room 3 and had a really pleasant stay. Clean linen, soft white towels, gowns, tv's and aircon in both the bedroom and lounge, fireplace, fridge and exquisite views!!!!! I will definitely recommend La Petite Dauphine to my friends and family and will be going there again soon.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
JOHANNESBURG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2009

2 km from the village of Franshhoek where there was a buzz of activity life was realxed, quiet and more than comfortable on this small boutique like guest farm. We stayed in studio 2. ... a semi detached "cottage" which had a huge room, huge bed with 100% cotton bed linen and with fantastic seating, & fire place. The bathroom was enormous with a fabulous walk in shower & huge bath and his & her basins. The room was beautifully decorated with a great attention to detail. The breakfast at Cafe Bon Bon was fresh & tasty and and obviously enjoyed by locals & tourists alike. They serve real coffee too. There is also a brisk lunchtime trade at the cafe.

It was like staying in my home but on holiday where I was looked after but also given lots of privacy.

The photos on the internet site potray the true beauty of the palce.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple