“Best choice restaurant”

La Petite Dauphine
johannesburg
“Best choice restaurant”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We didn't sleep there but just enjoy dinner. Very, very good. The ambience is 'soooo' romantic!!

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed October 10, 2011

La Petite Dauphine was the chosen venue and guest house for myself and my wife to tie the knot... It is an absolutely romantic setting with gorgeous views and great food.

When booking the double room cottage, check with them first as their is a surcharge if you use the 2nd bedroom... it makes no sense to me, if you book 2 bedroom cottage then there was a reason for it... so if they quote you incorrectly, double check.

The staff are pleasant, the venue is awesome, the rooms are magnificent!!! If your looking for the ultimate wedding venue... this is it!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are just stunning, but read main comment on double rooms.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeorgeM2
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2011

What an amazing place, if you want to unwind, be taken in by the breathtaking scenery and experience unsurpassed luxury, this is the place for you.
I am from the UK and you have to travel to the south of France to experience anything like this. La Petite Dauphine is just 1 hour from Cape Town in the Franschhoek mountains (wine country).
I can't wait to go back and thank you so much to our hosts Gert and Louis.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
cheshire UK
Reviewed March 21, 2011

My wife and I spent four nights here in February 2011 and enjoyed our stay very much, the situation is great, being on a wine and fruit farm app one km from the village, we had a studio which was very large and well furnished, breakfast is served in the cafe/bistro which is open to the public and therefore the choice is extensive as they know they are going to get quite a few customers in addition to the five units on site. Maybe a little isolated for those of a nervous disposition but there is 24/7 security on site. would certainly return. Downside: poor pools, small amd not very inviting

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank keithrodgers
London
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I wished I'd read the review "Beautiful setting, but ruined our wedding night" before we chose La Petite Dauphine for our wedding. We had a bad experience, and our wedding memories are all but ruined. They like to point to "prices subject to change" and then present a bill bigger than was quoted. I would definitely not recommend this place if you have a special event you wish to cherish. I agree, they made absolutely no effort to make us, the wedding couple, feel special in our room after the wedding -- I was surprised. For the hefty bill we were presented with, you'd think some flowers and a bottle of champers in the room would've been a nice touch. But nothing, we were treated like run of the mill guests, and not a couple who had filled their coffers substantially. When we look back at our wedding, all we remember is the horrible proprietor. They are lucky to have a beautiful setting and very good food, but be warned if you plan to have a wedding there, because it can leave you disappointed and sad. There are so many other places to choose in Franschoek. Don't make the mistake we made.

Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
10 Thank Pixie_Da
sydney
Reviewed February 7, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights and had a wonderful stay. The hotel is really beautiful, very reminiscent of France. The gardens are lovely and the grounds peaceful. I loved all the fruit trees, everything was green and healthy.
We had lunch the first day and I couldnt believe how delicious it was. My son had the pork belly which was the best we have ever had (my husband and I had to have a taste). All meals were superb and the price was so reasonable.
Breakfasts were worth getting up for and served with such grace.
The rooms were so comfortable and beautifully appointed.
Would not hesitate to return and recommend to my friends (already have!)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank franticsydney
London
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We stayed at La Petite Dauphine for 2 nights to enjoy Franschhoek.

It's a collection of farm houses, and vines are grown here (though it is not a winery as such, the grapes are apparently processed elsewhere...). Our suite was no.5, close to the road but noise really wasn't a problem at all, and it is particularly quiet at night - we had some great sleep!

The rooms are clean, big enough, and there's even a wood burner to use at night which makes it very cosy. Location-wise it is close enough to Franschoek (2 or 3 minute drive), and has stunning views of the mountains.

The breakfast served at Cafe Bon (also serves lunch which we would have tried had we have had another night there) was superb - I don't normally rush to eat cooked breakfasts, but the eggs benedict was one of the best examples I've had in the world.

This is definitely the right way to stay in Franschhoek and I could only recommend it - it would also be a great place to spend part of a honeymoon. I would have given it 5 stars if it was just a little cheaper (we were in high season so I suppose it is understandable), but the price was fair. The owners are also very helpful with suggestions of where to go in the area, and in booking restaurants etc. I would certainly consider returning here if we travel to Franschhoek again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple