“One of our favourites”

Ranked #17 of 80 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: European, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Franschhoek's iconic Haute Cabriere Restaurant is well known for its unique location, set into the side of Franschhoek Mountain and overlooking the Valley. Soaring arches and the view over the cathedral-like Pinot Noir Barrel Maturation Cellar below offer an experience which is not to be missed. On sunny days, guests can enjoy the beautiful vistas over Franschhoek from the terrace, while on cool days a roaring fire creates a cosy atmosphere. The menu revolves around classic technique with bold flavours with chefs Nic van Wyk and Westley Muller in the kitchen. The flavours and textures on the plate are specifically designed to complement the range of Haute Cabrière wines and Pierre Jourdan Cap Classiques - all of them served by the glass and by the bottle at cellar door prices. Bringing all of these elements together, Haute Cabrière offers the true marriage of food and wine.
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Our first visit was an impromptu lunch on arriving in Franschhoek. Wow. What wonderful food and wine, sitting on a terrace with fantastic views of the valley. We enjoyed the option of half portions of the main course dishes. Having had such a great experience we returned for lunch on our last day before leaving for our flight home. The deconstructed creme brulee is a triumph.
We were thrilled again.

There are newer reviews for Haute Cabriere Restaurant

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We went to haute Cabriere on saturday evening. There were 5 of us. Firstly, we were disappointed that the only wines to drink in the red category were Pinot Noir. If you don't like Pinot Noire, then tough. Further, be prepared to pay for this, our bottle cost R279. it was a nice wine, though would have beennice to have the option to order some kind of pre-dinner drink such as a g & t.
The food was such a disappointment. 2 of our friends had the fish - they ate only the 3 small pieces of fish and left the rest - they said it was inedible. These are friends who eat out all the time, so I value their judgement. My husband had the lamb neck which he enjoyed, but was still hungry after eating it as the portions size was really small. I had the pork. it was so tough and overcooked, I seriously think that any amateur chef would have done a better job - how can you serve your diners overcooked tough pork? I enjoyed the little accompaniments, but they did not make up for tough pork so I was hungry too when I left as I could not eat that tough old bit of meat. Such a disappointment for such a highly rated restaurent.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Sunday lunch with such an exceptional view. We usually go to Petit Ferme but thought we would try Haute Cabriere for a change. Beautifully presented exquisite food, you can order smaller portions of the main courses to try more dishes - they were still a good size. The neck of lamb was the nicest lamb I have ever tasted, melted in the mouth! The wines we tried were all lovely, suggest trying the Tranquile, a very interesting light rose. The staff appeared a little surly but polite. I agree with the other reviews that you must book an outside table. You take your life your hands when visiting the WC, it's down a very dark steep windy staircase - although atmospheric because it leads to the cellar, the lighting should be better! Would definitely return here again.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Apparently this was a relatively new chef but all four of us had superb meals , presented exquisitely, and the taste was fabulous - I really do recommend you try Haute Cabriere restaurant if you enjoy great food

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We had booked Sunday lunch a month in advance which proved to be a good idea judging by the look of disappointment(to put it mildly)on the faces of those punters who just rocked up expecting a table at one of the most stunningly situated restaurants in the Franshoek valley. It's worth noting that if you want an outside table it's wise telling them at the time of booking.We've eaten inside and out over the years and the standard remains very high ,quality ingredients,imaginatively prepared and beautifully presented by knowledgeable and enthusiastic staff.
Couple the foregoing with a great value wine list expertly matched to a flexible menu that allows you to split main courses into half portions and even the most undecided of us are assured of an enjoyable and novel dining experience.
If you are like most of the people in our party you'll enjoy the option of sharing a variety of dishes without any waste while at the same time enjoying great value for money,even more so by European standards.
Franshoek is a gourmet paradise with masses of choice for great food in stunning locations.So I 'll sum it up like this no matter how many times I'll go to Franshoek I'd always find time to go to Haute Cabriere.