“The best of many gorgeous meals we enjoyed in South Africa”
Review of La Petite Ferme

La Petite Ferme
Ranked #11 of 84 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: La Petite Ferme boasts unrivaled views and delicious cuisine. Our Vineyard and Manor House suites are amongst the best that Franschhoek Accommodation has to offer. A Franschhoek Restaurant that is situated high up on the mountain overlooking the Franschhoek Valley is world renowned for its approach to rustic contemporary cuisine. The award winning La Petite Ferme Winery takes its place amongst Franschhoek's finest cellars
Reviewed March 11, 2014

La Petite Ferme was recommended to us by friends for lunch as a 'not-to-be-missed' experience. We booked ourselves in for the wine tour at 11am followed by lunch (note that the wine tour is free if you stay for lunch). The setting was absolutely superb with panoramic views over the valley. We gathered on the lawn for the wine tour and the patriarch of La Petite Ferme himself arrived to talk to us. He was a wonderful and engaging host, talking us through the vines, describing how he built the house, taking us down to the cellar and having us taste wine directly from one of the barrels. We thought it was amazing that he still takes the time to do the tours himself and it was the best cellar tour we experienced during our trip to South Africa. The wine tasting was absolutely amazing as well. After the tour had ended, we were shown to our lovely table in the garden. We had many many gorgeous meals in South Africa but I have to say this was the best. My slow cooked lamb with plums was a delight (I cannot understand why a previous reviewer did not like this). I cannot think of a single bad word to say about our visit to La Petite Ferme and we will definitely be going back, and next time we will book accomodation here too! Do not miss out on this experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,787)

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Lunch at La Petite Ferme is a 'must do' for anyone visiting Franschhoek who wants to enjoy food with a view. Book well in advance in order to secure an outside table, where the beautiful valley landscape is best appreciated. The food is good but perhaps not as noteworthy as some of the other local wine estates' fare.

1  Thank Richmondmotherof3
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Firstly, the first from the table outside and the garden in front is absolutely breathtaking - mountains and vineyards. I can't think of anywhere more relaxing and peaceful than here for lunch in style. The sun gives this place a kiss from heaven and the food gives you a big hug to match! The wine is magnificent and the service is absolutely brilliant. Don't miss out on lunch here!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Whenever I visit Cape Town a must on our 'to do' list is a visit to La Petit Ferme. It's like entering a cool oasis of calm and sitting on the lawn under the trees with the most stunning view and a glass of chilled wine in hand is the moment I realise I'm actually in South Africa and on holiday!!! This time we arrived for the 11 o'clock wine tour of their compact cellars and it was the most informative and interesting we have ever done - really felt we had learnt something about wine making and what's more we've remembered most of it too - a sign of a fascinating talk.
After the wine tasting we were ready for lunch - sat beside a huge window overlooking the view and were delighted as usual with the choice and quality of the food - not to mention the wine from the Estate (I always go for the Rose in the summer and it's truly delicious!!!!)
This truly is a gem in the mountains that surround Franschhoek itself which I must say is not my cup of tea these days - but the drive to relax at La Petit Ferme is worth every km.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Our party of 5 had lunch at La Petite Ferme on the way to Cape Town during our wine tour of the region. I can see why it's a popular spot - the view is gorgeous! Much of the restaurant is open air under a covered porch and is a wonderful spot to refuel. The food definitely isn't noteworthy, but I'd say you can beat the setting.