“Ooooooooooo I could crush grape.”
Review of La Petite Ferme

La Petite Ferme
Ranked #9 of 82 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: La Petite Ferme boasts unrivaled views and delicious cuisine. Our Vineyard and Manor House suites are amongst the best that Franschhoek Accommodation has to offer. A Franschhoek Restaurant that is situated high up on the mountain overlooking the Franschhoek Valley is world renowned for its approach to rustic contemporary cuisine. The award winning La Petite Ferme Winery takes its place amongst Franschhoek's finest cellars
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Being known as one of the best restaurant experiences in SA is a difficult accolade to hang on to, however when you also add to this the winery, the accommodation, the Baboons, the views, the weather, the tours, the staff, then add to this the way the assemble of unpretentious whole comes together seemingly with ease.
We would recommend any and all of the above. Standouts this time around were the cellar tour as the first Sauvignon Blanc was being harvested and the rainbow was a very clever Disney effect that we still do not know how the magic is done.
If you are lucky enough to be able to stay then Perry tree is a delightful self catering lodge in between the vines with sue do Victorian plunge pools. Supping another glass of Battonage in your own secluded spot is exquisite.
We refuse to say more as we will not be able to return as it will be over booked!

The PF appreciation club

Reviewed February 25, 2014

One of my favourites in Franschoek, we attended as a family, it was very hot so we opted to share various starters instead of ordering the main, the curried chicken salad was excellent. The wine was very good and the setting superb. Only reason I didn't rate more highly, is I felt there could have been more selection on the menu. For a 1pm sitting on a Saturday to not have a couple of items in what is already a pretty thin menu lost it an excellent rating.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

This was the Friday Jazz evening, a weekly event, in summer. Band is set up on the lawn, below the terrace, and plays 3 sessions, from 7pm on. Reasonably good band, when we went - changes weekly.

Food, is from the regular a la carte lunch menu, with a R50/Head supplement. We found the menu a little short for an evening meal, with OK, rather than very good food. Creme Brullee dessert was again OK, but not special.

I remember La P F as outstanding, last visit a couple of years ago. Not any more, and not even very good by SA standards nowadays. We won't rush back.

1  Thank grahamee
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This place came highly recommended and as a result was very disappointing. It's in a fantastic position with lovely views back down the Franschoek valley so no faults there. We had a very nice position on the outside terrace. The building itself is a bit tired and it wouldn't have been the same experience sitting inside.

The food was the disappointing part as we had two of the so-called specialities of the house, my choice being the slow cooked lamb. Unfortunately, as seems to sometimes be the case in the region, the perfectly nice lamb was served with plums. I guess I should have read the menu a little closer as for me the two simply don't go and also serve to kill any red wine you might have with the meal. This might be the reason why this was one of the few items not to include a recommended wine accompaniment. I would usually accept that I chose badly but as the lamb was the house speciality so it goes down as a disappointment in my book.

Compared with all the lovely meals we had on our South African trip, this was not up to the mark.

1  Thank W3lshman
Reviewed February 22, 2014

It would be worth going here for the view alone and the excellent service. I would expect to pay double the bill for the quality of food which was among the best we had in South Africa. Not to be missed.