Cafe Des Arts
Ranked #21 of 83 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Based in the small village of Franschhoek in the Western Cape. Franschhoek is renowned world wide for Haut Cuisine and Fine Dining. Cafe des Arts is neither Haute Cuisine nor Fine Dining! Cafe des Arts is a simple, rustic, relaxed restaurant where all that matters is the food. There are no table cloths, no silver service and the food is from the pan to the plate. If you're lucky, you may even get some cutlery! -
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Met some friends for breakfast here. Initially thought it was a little dark and dingy, however, what emerged from the kitchen was a delight. The darkness lifted as the weather improved and the ambiance was great for a breakfast chat with friends we hadn't seen for some time. I would recommend that people make the effort to move away from the main road!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

they must be doing something right as they have a great rating on trip advisor which we are happy to endorse.
Chris is a lovely warm host and a superbly creative cook.
what did we eat?
delicious tomato soup,duck pate,teryaki chicken, stir fry,and decent desserts I think we all had creme brulee
.lovely waiter from Zimbabwe (something like Tiwan) who had just become the father of a lad (memory thinks Kayden?).
hope to enjoy the delights of Cafe des Arts in early feb 2014
Maril & Brian Silverstone London

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I actually had dinner reservations at another winery but cancelled for more low-key night since I was still jet lagging! Wow! I'm so glad I did! First, it's absolutely adorable and off the beaten path. Second, the wife/husband duo are so kind - clearly local favorites - as their friends continued to greet them throughout the night! Third, the chef made me a off-the-cuff vegan meal which was to die for! It was so good that I asked him to explain the recipe to me and he sat down and walked me through the whole dish! Then, he told me about the history of the cafe (and that he learned to cook 18 years ago in that cafe from the previous 80 year-old Afrikaans woman who had own the place at the time. Finally, it's so affordable! I was so lucky to travel in an off-peak time (May) so I didn't have to worry about crowds. But, I think reservations are typically required. I love this place!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

If you blink, you might miss this nice and quiet little place. Look for the sign to the public library and you'll find it. Good food and good prices.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Easily missed as it sits at the end of a walkway off the main road. Glad we found it as food was superb, service friendly and efficient, and not expensive. Ate here on an evening and returned a couple of days later for breakfast. On both occasions food was great. As the name suggests it is a cafe style, quite informal with menu chalked on a large blackboard bought to the table. Artwork around the walls adds to the arty atmosphere. Super little restaurant, would recommend for any time of day. We loved it!!