“Memorable!”

Cafe Des Arts
Ranked #24 of 92 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Based in the small village of Franschhoek in the Western Cape. Franschhoek is renowned world wide for Haut Cuisine and Fine Dining. Cafe des Arts is neither Haute Cuisine nor Fine Dining! Cafe des Arts is a simple, rustic, relaxed restaurant where all that matters is the food. There are no table cloths, no silver service and the food is from the pan to the plate. If you're lucky, you may even get some cutlery! -
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I actually had dinner reservations at another winery but cancelled for more low-key night since I was still jet lagging! Wow! I'm so glad I did! First, it's absolutely adorable and off the beaten path. Second, the wife/husband duo are so kind - clearly local favorites - as their friends continued to greet them throughout the night! Third, the chef made me a off-the-cuff vegan meal which was to die for! It was so good that I asked him to explain the recipe to me and he sat down and walked me through the whole dish! Then, he told me about the history of the cafe (and that he learned to cook 18 years ago in that cafe from the previous 80 year-old Afrikaans woman who had own the place at the time. Finally, it's so affordable! I was so lucky to travel in an off-peak time (May) so I didn't have to worry about crowds. But, I think reservations are typically required. I love this place!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

If you blink, you might miss this nice and quiet little place. Look for the sign to the public library and you'll find it. Good food and good prices.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Easily missed as it sits at the end of a walkway off the main road. Glad we found it as food was superb, service friendly and efficient, and not expensive. Ate here on an evening and returned a couple of days later for breakfast. On both occasions food was great. As the name suggests it is a cafe style, quite informal with menu chalked on a large blackboard bought to the table. Artwork around the walls adds to the arty atmosphere. Super little restaurant, would recommend for any time of day. We loved it!!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My friends and I were walking along main road franschoek and we were looking for a nice local restuarant to eat and we discovered Cafe des Arts! Wow is all I can say! Lovely food and great service! Good portions and value for money. Nice art work touch too! Like the novelty of the menu board ! Nice homey feeling, it was a lovely night, sitting outside in the garden area under the trees drinking wine and chatting with friends! Beats sitting in a fancy restaurant were you get ripped off for weigh less portions of food! Had a great time and will definetly be back!

Please ignore Chris Von Ulmenstein's blog regarding this restaurant! She is a fine one to talk! One only needs looking at her tripadvisor reviews on Whale Cottage to know she is the rudest, most obnoxious, money greedy women in the Tourism industry. She should look at her own busines instead of slagging off other businesses! Seems like she only give's good reviews if her meal is for free! Cafe des arts should have charged her double!
Keep up the good work guys! THis place is amazing!

2  Thank MCampsBay
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Annette in the Garden house booked this for us and her choice was excellent as we had a superb meal and the sevice was so friendly...we were the last to leave !