All reviewswedding venuemanor housewine tastingwedding coordinatorharvest festivalpool housebeautiful venuethe cottagesamazing winebeautiful mountainscape winelandsworld classthree nightswine tramtasting roomestateguests
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We are still on a high after the team at Vrede en Lust put together the most perfect wedding for our daughter. The setting at Vrede en Lust is indescribably beautiful, especially on a warm sunny day and there are plenty of these in this area. All our desires were met and our ideas and instructions were followed with precision. We were extremely well looked after in the five star historical guest house and cottages where our every need was catered for. Where else will a hostess make a special trip into town to fetch a meal for you because you were too rushed to bring one with you as planned? We were made to feel as if our wedding was the most important one ever. The food was top notch- just what you would expect from the highly acclaimed chefs from 'Outcook Express'. Our guests were blown away by it all and so were we! Needless to say many of them paid a visit to the winery the next day to purchase some of Vrede en Lust wines which had tickled their palates the night before. Recommended? FOR SURE!!!
I wish we could do it all over again!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Dear Wiena & Yolanda

I can’t believe how the time has flown since our wedding. We’re both now back at work and back to the reality of normal life. The wedding seems like a distant but amazing memory.

When Paul and I visited Vrede en Lust in December 2008 we instantly fell in love with it and knew that we had to have our wedding there. Planning the wedding, every moment leading up to it and the actual wedding was like doing a jigsaw puzzle. As all the pieces were added the puzzle picture slowly became clearer and when the last piece was added that memory we have is something we will never forget! All of your input before, during and after the wedding was so valuable. You were amazing the weekend of the wedding and so hospitable. Our wedding was so special and I would like to thank you both for all you did to ensure it was. You went above and beyond and small details like the personalised letters for the guests were a wonderful touch.

I can’t tell you how many guests said that our wedding was the best that they had been to. There are lots of factors that make a great wedding, but a breathtaking venue, outstanding service & hospitality, delectable food, and gorgeous wines certainly play a massive part. Thank you for your help in making the wedding we envisioned a reality.

Paul and I are delighted that we’re able to purchase Vrede en Lust wines in the UK. Every time we have a glass we will be reminded of our stunning South African Winelands wedding. Vrede en Lust has truly captured our hearts and we hope to return soon to enjoy all it has to offer.

Warmest and fondest regards

Paul and Layla

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Layla_Paul
Reviewed March 14, 2010

We celebrated our marriage at Vrede en Lust in February this year and had booked the venue for 3 nights. We knew the venue was beautiful when we originally booked it but to actually stay there and be looked after by everyone at Vrede en Lust was something else all together. From the start to end we were looked after by Wiena, Ouma,Yolanda and the other ladies who couldn't do enough for us, ensured our stay was fanatastic and consistently exceeded our expectations. The venue itself is amazing and deserves 5 stars. The manor house and the cottages are beautifully decorated while the setting is breathtaking with views across the vineyards and the mountains as a backdrop. Everyone that stayed there and all of our guests at the wedding could not praise it enough. So thanks to Wiena, Yolanda, Ouma and all the other staff for being so welcoming....we will be back

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank JKholidaytrips
Reviewed February 12, 2010

Just got back this morning from attending a friend's wedding at VnL. We were totally blown away by the beauty and tranquillity of this gorgeous estate. Nothing was too much trouble for Wiena, who seemed to be everywhere at once, making sure everything ran smoothly and that everyone was happy.

The gardens overlooking the mountains were the perfect setting for the wedding and the reception drinks served by the pool were a great idea. The huge sail-like marquee for the wedding breakfast was simply breathtaking, especially with the twinkly lights in the eaves. The food was so delightful and I need to come back just to have more of the steamed wontons (also available in Cotage Fromage, the estate restaurant!).

The estate cottages we stayed in were delightful. Ours had a corner bath and large walk-in shower but each one is totally individual. As for the Manor House - wow, wow, wow!

The wedding continued the next day with a pool side BBQ, which was the perfect end for the wedding...sunshine, friends, estate wine (the Jess, Karien and Margurite were just delightful), and more steak, lamb, chicken, salads etc. than you could shake a stick at!

It was truly a delightful place for a wedding - we saw good friends get married in a spectacular setting, have the personalised wedding that they wanted, the guests thoroughly enjoyed themselves and also had space and freedom to make new friends.

We are already talking about organising another group visit - maybe for their first anniversary!!!

You won't be disappointed by the time spent at VnL - it is simply Heaven on Earth. Enjoy!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LFB_99
Reviewed February 12, 2010

Have just returned from our wedding at Vrede en Lust and the whole affair from the initial recce to the ceremony itself was just impeccable. Every aspect of the estate is managed beautifully, the staff are, to a person, kind, friendly, warm and talented. As for the event itself - every single aspect of the two days exceeded our very high expectations.

As we live a long way from the venue (some 6,000 miles!) we found the services of Yolanda (the wedding co-ordinator) were invaluable and no detail was too small (nor any of my many questions too stupid) for her to deal with. I was fortunate enough to visit the estate again some months before the wedding and sat with Duncan (one of the chefs at Cotage Fromage, the caterers) and tasted all of our 7 courses of food. Each one was exquisitely presented and the care and talent lavished on the food by Duncan and his colleagues was evident.

As the day approached, Yolanda was in constant contact with us, ensuring that all the participants were fully briefed and ready for our big day. On the day itself I arrived at the venue at 2pm and, being careful to avoid sight of my future wife, took a look around the marquee area and ceremony (this part laid out at the foot of the Simonsberg in the vineyard itself with a backdrop that rendered me speechless).

On greeting me for the first time in 6 months, I was given a big hug from Yolanda and it was like being welcomed back by an old friend. Our guests moved into their rooms in the cottages (newly refurbished and perfectly matched to the age and style of the exterior of the buildings, whilst others moved into the magnificent and imposing manor house, each room being a picture of perfection thanks to Wiena and her team. I, on the other hand, walked to the high-ceilinged tasting plaza and had a medicinal glass of the excellent Marguerite chardonnay wine with my best man and ushers.

As 4pm approached I walked down to the ceremony area and waited for my wife. The ceremony took place in bright flooding sunlight and after the event we walked up to the pool area in front of the manor house where pre-reception drinks were served. Tables had been set upon the lawn and the staff were discreetly on hand to make sure that no-one's glass was ever empty. Mine was particularly well attended in that respect!

After the rounds and rounds of photographs, my wife and I walked up the lawn from the vineyard into the open front of the permanent marquee as the sun began to set at the back of the mountains.

JP, the chef running the show that evening had his team primed and ready and we began 8 courses of peerless and delicious food, each one matched by one of the great wines from the Vrede en Lust estate, culminating in a Springbok that was the softest, most melting meat I've ever eaten. A fact I confirmed by eating most of my wife's too! There were so many food highlights I can't begin to tell you but the wontons, served in individual steamers with soy and apple dip seemed to garner the most incredulous glances from our friends and family.

The timing was just right to allow digestion of the previous course before being blown away by the next experience.

A disco in the marquee and a well-stocked and well-staffed bar ensured that the rest of the night ended in a blissful stupor in the honeymoon suite of the manor house and a night's sleep of great satisfaction.

Early the next morning we both awoke reasonably early and padded downstairs where Yolanda served us a coffee on the veranda before we took ourselves down to the restaurant at Cotage Fromage for breakfast (included in the two day package for all guest staying in the estate accommodation). The quality of the breakfast only confirmed my recollections of the night before. Truffled fillet of beef tartare for breakfast? Amazing and so delicate!

Then, to a wine tasting to shake off the last vestiges of the hangover of the night before the 2nd day of our time at Vrede en Lust. Duncan and his crew set up a braai (barbecue) by the pool house and, shaking off the formalities of the day before, we set about a huge South African tradition and ate barbecued meats, salads and more wedding cake until we were fit to burst.

The evening rounded off on the veranda drinking and laughing with our guests before another night of soundless sleep.

Breakfast again the next morning (Chorizo and Pork Belly sandwich with bone marrow!) set us up for the departure and the only sorrow we felt at the whole time was having to leave a place that now felt like a second home to us with some new, and very close, friends.

Yolanda, Wiena, Duncan, JP and all their colleagues combine in a symbiotic way to provide an experience that I genuinely believe couldn't have been surpassed anywhere else in the Cape Winelands, let alone the rest of the world. The parting gift from Yolanda herself of a magnum of the sumptuous Cara left both of us in tears as we drove away.

I commend Vrede en Lust to absolutely anyone for a stay in a piece of Cape history, for a wedding or celebration that will lift your spirits to the heavens. There aren't sufficient superlatives in the English language for me to do justice to the estate and the family of people who run it so very well.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple