“A "must be' on your bucket list”
Review of The Tasting Room - CLOSED

The Tasting Room
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais is South Africa's most lauded fine-dining restaurant. It is the stage to award-winning Chef, Margot Janse, and her unique African Inspired Surprise Tasting Menu. Here, in this intimate setting, serious diners have the opportunity to experience a true journey of taste. With a menu that continues to evolve and astonish The Tasting Room, and its African Inspired cuisine, creates a dining experience unlike any other. One where surprise and nostalgia take centre stage. In The Tasting Room every African Inspired dish is exceptional and engaging. Truly refined with a distinct feminine touch and, at the same time, unexpectedly exciting ... Exhilarating in fact. It is this contradiction that results in The Tasting Room menu's outstanding balance and ensures that the cuisine is nothing short of a theatrical masterpiece.In The Tasting Room the journey extends further than just phenomenal cuisine; it moves fearlessly into the captivating realm of stories and magic. A place where each plate, and its African inspired elements, have the ability to captivate the hearts and minds of diners.The Tasting Room is open Tuesdays to Saturdays for dinner only. 19H00 till late.Please allow at least 3 hours for your dinner.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This food experience absolutely lived up to the high expectations that we created for ourselves. The simple interior, seating arrangement and good use of lighting works well. As food enthusiasts we enjoyed each course by sharing and discussing the different dishes that we were presented with. All in all we got to taste about 13 different dishes each! One is really amazed by the amount of effort that goes into the preparation, especially the thinking process behind each of these art works. I enjoyed the wine pairing option, with some background given on the origin of the wines, selected mostly from the Franschhoek area. The only bit of criticism is that little reference was given as to why the specific wines were chosen, in terms of characteristics to match the food flavours. Excellent level of service by experienced staff members and we particularly enjoyed the waiter's sense of humour. It is expensive, but add it to your bucket list!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

This was a surprise from my husband on our last night in Cape Town, the staff and reception we received on arrival was very warm and welcoming. They all congratulated us on our wedding and thanked us for wanting to spend part of our honeymoon with them. The room is clean and I loved that there was a light over each table and that we were all facing either the garden or inwards it made for a different atmosphere.

After the canapés and starters that where the same we each received different dishes. I would give the “ A spring walk through Franschhoek” a miss it was the only thing that was just to bitter to enjoy.
The black mussel which is handmade was memorable, Dalewood Huguenot cheddar, rusks, mebos custard and currants was out o this world and I would pay any price for this dish !

Overall something you have to do if you can! Thank you so much for giving us the experience.

PS the breads in the tin was simply genius

Well done to the team there!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

To put this in context, I have eaten in a lot of top restaurants in London and Europe- Petrus, Gordon Ramsay Hospital Road, Louis XV in Monaco and Heston Blumenthals Dinner to name a few. Yes, this is marketing itself in this league; but for me it wasn't as good. The food was in turns amazing, and (for me) inedible. There were a couple of courses of the 8 that I just plain didn't like - which has never happened before at similar restaurants. I also didn't like the way that as a couple we had different meals at various stages - despite both having the 8 course tasting menu. My partner did not like his as much as mine at all and it led to some discontent (as I didn't like his either!!! - there was one really fish one that I literally spat into my napkin I disliked it so much!). It was an experience, but if I could go back and do it again I would not go there to eat. It was the most expensive meal we had in South Africa by a country mile - £160 for two with wine. Whilst this isn't much compared to Europe prices - we spent almost £400 a head at Louis XV in Monaco.... this is a lot for Frahschoek, and there are so many other wonderful places to go where you get (in my view) nicer food, better service and you leave feeling like you got an amazing deal on a spectacular experience - e.g Haute Cabriere, Le Petite Ferme, Café Des Artes and Rubens. I have still given it 4 stars, as obviously it is pretty special and worth a visit if you are racking up visits at various "top" restuarants, but if you are only in Franschoek for 1 night, I would not recommend here as the one place you go to.

1  Thank flobie7
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I went to the The Tasting Room with my family and I was pretty curious considering the different kind of reviews that this place has been receiving.
The interior is simple and the waiters are very polite and explain well the different dishes. The wine list is ok: found a good white and a good red wine. I personally never go for the wine pairing menu so I can't comment on that. We had the menu of the chef which consists in 8 surprise dishes.
Before the first dish we had a nice palate cleanser made with lime and crushed pepper and then a few funky snacks. The bread was well presented, towards the sweet taste but good.
- The dinner started with a Beetroot, buttermilk labne, dill and cucumber granita wich was excellent: the different flavors combine very well.
- Then we had a salad made of different south african ingredients: simple but good idea. It is not said what are the different ingredients so you can try to understand what you are eating and at the end of the dish they say what the different vegetables were.
- Nettle, artichoke, granadilla: absolutely gorgeous soup
- Oyster, sour fig, vichyssoise, roasted baby gem: excellent combination and very tasty.
- Quail, amasi, sweetcorn, granola: very well cooked
- Hartebeest, brinjal, parsnip, sorghum: excellent beef combined with local flavors
- Cheddar, rusks, mebos custard, currants: good combination,simple
- Baobab, coconut, honeycbush, caramel: nice but again simple
After the coffee we had very nice sweet "snacks".
Over all the food was delicious, combining different local products in a very special way; maybe also the desserts could have been more particular, but they were still good.
As for price it is the most expensive restaurant I have been eating in South Africa but still for a similar type of restaurant in Europe you will easily spend double or triple the money.
I had a great dinner but for sure I wouldn't suggest this place for those looking for a simple, plain, cheap meal: you have to be prepared and willing to taste something very different than usual. It is also the goal of the restaurant! For those looking for an "experience" is totally worth a try.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Though I am fairly low key, it takes quite a bit to really impress me. The Tasting Room did and did so with great aplomb.

Tired from a hectic business trip to Johannesburg, I booked in to the Tasting Room on my arrival to Le Quartier Francais. I hadn't done my homework and didn't know what to expect. Frankly, given my state, I would have been happy with a simple meal, a glass of wine and a quick trip to bed.

My mistake. It was apparent on entering the restaurant that this dinner would be quite special. The room dripped romance and my dear wife was 10,000 miles distant. Bummer but I sat down anyway!

Long story short, this was not a meal, it was an experience. The service was spot on professional, the food was enchantingly delicious (plus the waiter tutored me in SA foodstuffs to boot) and the wine perfectly matched.

Thanks and kudos to all at the restaurant. We'll be back as my wife has made me promise to bring her next time I visit LQF.