I went to the The Tasting Room with my family and I was pretty curious considering the different kind of reviews that this place has been receiving.
The interior is simple and the waiters are very polite and explain well the different dishes. The wine list is ok: found a good white and a good red wine. I personally never go for the wine pairing menu so I can't comment on that. We had the menu of the chef which consists in 8 surprise dishes.
Before the first dish we had a nice palate cleanser made with lime and crushed pepper and then a few funky snacks. The bread was well presented, towards the sweet taste but good.
- The dinner started with a Beetroot, buttermilk labne, dill and cucumber granita wich was excellent: the different flavors combine very well.
- Then we had a salad made of different south african ingredients: simple but good idea. It is not said what are the different ingredients so you can try to understand what you are eating and at the end of the dish they say what the different vegetables were.
- Nettle, artichoke, granadilla: absolutely gorgeous soup
- Oyster, sour fig, vichyssoise, roasted baby gem: excellent combination and very tasty.
- Quail, amasi, sweetcorn, granola: very well cooked
- Hartebeest, brinjal, parsnip, sorghum: excellent beef combined with local flavors
- Cheddar, rusks, mebos custard, currants: good combination,simple
- Baobab, coconut, honeycbush, caramel: nice but again simple
After the coffee we had very nice sweet "snacks".
Over all the food was delicious, combining different local products in a very special way; maybe also the desserts could have been more particular, but they were still good.
As for price it is the most expensive restaurant I have been eating in South Africa but still for a similar type of restaurant in Europe you will easily spend double or triple the money.
I had a great dinner but for sure I wouldn't suggest this place for those looking for a simple, plain, cheap meal: you have to be prepared and willing to taste something very different than usual. It is also the goal of the restaurant! For those looking for an "experience" is totally worth a try.