“An Amazing Experience”

The Tasting Room
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais is South Africa's most lauded fine-dining restaurant. It is the stage to award-winning Chef, Margot Janse, and her unique African Inspired Surprise Tasting Menu. Here, in this intimate setting, serious diners have the opportunity to experience a true journey of taste. With a menu that continues to evolve and astonish The Tasting Room, and its African Inspired cuisine, creates a dining experience unlike any other. One where surprise and nostalgia take centre stage. In The Tasting Room every African Inspired dish is exceptional and engaging. Truly refined with a distinct feminine touch and, at the same time, unexpectedly exciting ... Exhilarating in fact. It is this contradiction that results in The Tasting Room menu's outstanding balance and ensures that the cuisine is nothing short of a theatrical masterpiece.In The Tasting Room the journey extends further than just phenomenal cuisine; it moves fearlessly into the captivating realm of stories and magic. A place where each plate, and its African inspired elements, have the ability to captivate the hearts and minds of diners.The Tasting Room is open Tuesdays to Saturdays for dinner only. 19H00 till late.Please allow at least 3 hours for your dinner.
Reviewed October 13, 2013

While this is not your average weekly meal, the experience was fantastic. The service was wonderful and the entire meal had so many flavours, textures and colours it was really an art show. The only options are 5 and 7 course meals (either paired with wine or not). It is certainly expensive, but that may be explained by the fact that they can only do one seating as the meal takes about 2.5 - 3 hours! Regardless, I've included a couple pictures of the courses. I hope you have the chance to enjoy it too. Reservations recommended.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Three of us (my wife and I and our young adult daughter) visited the tasting room one Friday in September, and we had a wonderful time. In fact, having eaten over the years at restaurants in among other places Boston, Philadelphia, New York, and London, I can say that my wife and I have never had a better dining experience.

The food was fantastically innovative, interesting and beautifully presented. Through the ten courses plus extras with course-specific local wine pairings we experienced food raised to high art. Yet despite its high level of quality, The Tasting Room has no pretense. In fact it has the best wait and support staff I can remember in any restaurant.

We had an evening of pure fun at The Tasting Room, and I would recommend it to anyone who values creativity and is open to new experiences in dining.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I don't usually go for gourmet or ultra contempo/forward-thinking food experiences. I like tapas and drinks, a really good pizza, some comforting curries. I do, however, enjoy trying new things and always appreciate when someone takes their craft seriously.

With that in mind, I loved this experience! And I do mean experience - this is not an evening for mindlessly stuffing yourself with meats and creamy veggies. This is a multi-step flavor experience that has been carefully curated to tell a story and also open up your taste buds. I can say that some of the courses were not "tasty" in the traditional sense, but all were very full of flavor - some shockingly so - that we couldn't finish it all, as it was overwhelming. And that's' the whole point, I think!

I would totally recommend trying this. It's a cool experience to share with your companions and with those around you. Also, be sure to ask questions about the courses - there are stories behind every dish, which servers will reveal more of - if you ask.

Don't expect to satisfy your taste buds as if you were eating a big bowl of spaghetti and meatballs smothered in cheese. Expect to challenge your tastebuds with flavors and combinations you have probably never heard of. With that attitude in mind, you will love it!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We were served an 8 course meal matched with 8 different wines. The presentation was creative and artistic to the max. The service was quick, entertaining, and attentive. The 4 of us were all pleased with our dining experience at the Tasting Room

Reviewed September 24, 2013

After waiting a long time, my wife and I with some very good friends, finally got round to visiting The Tasting room. We had very high expectations and were not disappointed. In fact it was even better than I thought it would be. We had the eight course African Inspired tasting menu with wine pairings, and loads of surprises. This is serious dining, packed with loads of innovation. Every plate has been thought through to the finest detail. But most importantly it's an adventure full of surprises. And you will definitely have fun along the way aided by quality service that is very attentive. The wine pairings were superb and you get to taste wines from smaller estates that you would not normally not taste.

The highlight of our evening was being invited into the kitchen to meet Margot Janse in person. She is delightful!!!! If you are in South Africa and in the Cape make a plan to get here. You won't be disappointed.

PS .... They have also just opened a great cocktail bar (Lounge Bar) which opened and rounded off the evening for us.